I think I have to say goodbye!
Sep 25, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i thought there were going to be multiple runs or something like that.

I will go into production but at a much higher price. That's the latest info I have from Justin but he can correct me if I'm wrong.

The BG caps alone in the older BH are worth at least 1k$ today...

Sep 25, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #47 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh, you said goodbye to dynamics without trying the truly high end.

Well, I had the K1000, HP1000(modded), and W5000. I can't really afford to test out the R10.
biggrin.gif

I am toying with the idea of putting up a wtb thread for the L3000, just so I can try it while I have the funds. Even without the ZD, my dac's amp will allow me to enjoy a dynamic can every now and then.

Oct 4, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #48 of 56
Been a couple weeks and I am still really satisfied with these. It feels great feeling content.
smile.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #50 of 56
Yeah, sixer, the SRM-T1 sounds really, really excellent with the HE60. It makes the HEV70 sound like a toy.

It drops the noisefloor way down, and it puts the mids back where they belong in the mix. It also restores a lot of soundstage depth that the HEV70 destroys.

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #51 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ZD is amazing, especially with the HD600's, W5000's, and K501. But none of them even come close to the performance of the HE60, so I think I am getting rid of everything dynamic in order to grab a good electrostatic amp and the O2's. I think this wouldn't be the case if more high end dynamics were still in production. Either way, I have enjoyed the dynamic experience and am on my way into the world of Stats.

I agree that dynamic headphones driven by the ZD, as good as the ZD is, don't match up to electrostatic headphones in many areas, including overall sound quality. However, the O2 is not very good with the few Stax amps I've tried it with. With the KGSS, the O2 performs much better. I think the Aristaeus improves on it further, and the ES-1 is even better.

The ZD is a very good amp and it is the best dynamic amp I've heard to-date. The R10, Qualia, L3000, W5000, PS-1, and HP-2 all sound better with the ZD than with the limited number of other dynamic amps I've tried. But my favorite dynamics aren't at the level of my favorite electrostats, driven by the admittedly much more expensive HeadAmp Aristaeus and Singlepower ES-1.

Oct 5, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #52 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, sixer, the SRM-T1 sounds really, really excellent with the HE60. It makes the HEV70 sound like a toy.

It drops the noisefloor way down, and it puts the mids back where they belong in the mix. It also restores a lot of soundstage depth that the HEV70 destroys.

Yeah, it's a good thing you came by my house with your SRM-T1 to listen to my HE60 on Friday with it - your post above was much more informative than mine was (too tired to post right now).

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #53 of 56
Quote:

The only thing that is bugging the hell out of me is how what used to sound like decent recordings, are now showing how bad they actually are. It has made some of my favorite tracks unlistenable.
frown.gif

Does it not beg the question that when is your equipment TOO good for the music you'll play on it?

At what point are you stick with the "perfect" system but have nothing to play on it? At lest nothing you like. It's just a thought.

Oct 6, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #54 of 56
None of my favorite tracks are ever unlistenable. Even stuff from my misbegotten youth ripped at 64k on discs that are no longer commercially attainable is better through better gear, though the flaws are obviously more noticeable.

Having visited mastering studios before, I am reasonably certain that the equipment and ears responsible for creating a lot of music are far better than my own. I have no fear of my system ever outgrowing its media, especially with the possibility of 24/96 downloads looming in the future.

Oct 6, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #55 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it not beg the question that when is your equipment TOO good for the music you'll play on it?

At what point are you stick with the "perfect" system but have nothing to play on it? At lest nothing you like. It's just a thought.

Most of my favorite tracks are very listenable, but there are about 10 or so tracks I really like(out of thousands) that I can't bear.

You bring up an excellent point though, and honestly I rather keep the perfect(nearly) equipment because all of the good recordings sound that much better.

I have tried buying the songs on mp3 as well as different CD's and to no avail. It's just a poor recording in these situations. This is when I start to become disappointed in the artist/production company/mixer/etc.

For example, Micheal Jackson's CD's were mastered really, really well and show off the headphones ability to handle fast paced, multi-layered music. However, some of the more recent music coming out just doesn't have the same quality.
frown.gif

But at the end of the day, 15 "bad" tracks don't outweigh thousands of "good" ones.

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #56 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of my favorite tracks are very listenable, but there are about 10 or so tracks I really like(out of thousands) that I can't bear.

You bring up an excellent point though, and honestly I rather keep the perfect(nearly) equipment because all of the good recordings sound that much better.

I have tried buying the songs on mp3 as well as different CD's and to no avail. It's just a poor recording in these situations. This is when I start to become disappointed in the artist/production company/mixer/etc.

For example, Micheal Jackson's CD's were mastered really, really well and show off the headphones ability to handle fast paced, multi-layered music. However, some of the more recent music coming out just doesn't have the same quality.
frown.gif

But at the end of the day, 15 "bad" tracks don't outweigh thousands of "good" ones.

Even with my humble setup I'm able to hear poor production. Especially in the pre-digital era when music was mastered on tape. I han hear the dubs on some recordings.

Of course you're right that striving for a perfect system makes great music really shine. It's just disappointing how much mediocrity there really is that's made. And not just the crap of today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back