I opened the damn things and am just listening to them!!!
Dec 11, 2001 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

fjhuerta

I gave Jude an Orpheus and all I got was this lousy title.
I couldn't hold back anymore.

More to the point, my girlfriend ripped the box open, and told me to listen to the damn things (I love her!).

I know, I shouldn't be posting this. I have listened to the ER6s for just 15 minutes. But so far, this is what I've learned.

- Construction. Quite nice, actually. It is made of transparent rubber. Looks and feels pretty nice. It makes the 4's look obsolete.

- Cable. Thin. Too thin, perhaps? But it's not microphonic, by any means. It's practically inaudible.

- Insertion procedure. Maybe I need to learn about this, or maybe my ear canals are really too large. But I spent at least 5 minutes trying to insert them, and even then I couldn't get a good seal. I had to play some bass intensive music to let me know I had attained a good seal.

- Sound:

Good news, guys: they are really Etys. They give you the "whoa!" feeling, just as the 4S. I bet that if you have never heard the 4S before, you'll be floored by their sound.

If you have heard the 4s, you might notice a lack of detail, and a bit less top end (or something... I can't tell yet, but something is different with the top end). But that's it. They are true Etys.

As far as I can tell, they are better than my Grado MS-1s, my A8s, my Koss and the 490s (obviously). I can't say if they are better than the 580s (somehow, I think they are *a bit* less detailed). But that comparo will take weeks, I guess.

As for isolation, it's obviously less than the 4S, but I am typing and listening to a quiet passage on Copland's "Rodeo", and I can't hear the keys. Or anything around me, for that matter.

Don, I think you have a winner here!

Dec 11, 2001 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 14
Fjhuerta, I think you've found the One. ( And I'm talkin about your girlfriend, not the Ety's! ......or am I??
tongue.gif
)

Dec 11, 2001 at 4:55 AM Post #3 of 14
FJhuerta, thank your girlfriend for us.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, what's the story with the cord length? I'm planning on using these things directly out of a portable MP3 player with no amp. If the MP3 player is in my pants pocket, will the cord reach? And what about the efficiency of these Etys? I know they'll sound better with an amp, but the MP3 player has no line out. Will it have enough power to drive these things to adequate volume?
Thanks for any answers. And ENJOY!!!!

Dec 11, 2001 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 14
Sapphire, I think you are right... just don't tell her
smily_headphones1.gif

Joe, about the amp, I don't have a portable source around (my Expanium and my MD are at the office). I am powering them using my x-Cans, and I am still very amazed. The bass power is astounding; easily the equal of the 4s. Detail-wise, the 4s are better... I am not sure by how much yet.

The cord will surely be more than enough for a walkman; I am 6 feet and it seems using them with an MD will be pretty comfortable. I hate the fact that it's asymetrical, though; it's pulling one of my earphones more than the other. They were definitely designed with portability in mind.

Also, you have two carrying options: the plastic case and a black one identical to the 4s one. Stylish.

I'll test the things tomorrow on an SBLive! and my Expanium. I hope they sound as good as they do on my X-Cans.

Dec 11, 2001 at 5:11 AM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for the info, fjhuerta. I had purchased the 4Ps to use for portability, but as you may have heard, my dog ate them. The cord was as microphonic as the 4S and was pretty much useless for walking. I'm glad to hear that the ER6 cables are pretty quiet. Can't wait to get them this week!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2001 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 14
Can I borrow her for a few weeks? Just until after the Holidays then I'll return her good as new.
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2001 at 5:13 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Pat
I ran my 6's with the X-cans too. It's quite a nice match. I can only imagine what the 4's would sound like...

Pat,

You don't have to imagine them. The 4s sound very similar to the 6's; they just have more detail. I can assure you, there is not a huge difference between both.

Whether that difference is worth $140 (the difference in price between the 4s and the 6s) is up to you... if you ask me, I'd say yes, but then again, I am a weirdo
wink.gif

ps I absolutely HATE asymmetrical cables. It's the only low point of the new Etys for me!

Dec 11, 2001 at 5:37 PM Post #10 of 14
fjhuerta,

I'm curious about the difference in length between the 4 and 6. By this I mean the actual earpieces. They look pretty long on the 4's. Do they stick out of your ears?
wink.gif

At first glance I thought the 6's might make me look like I had two sticks coming out of my ears. I know that is not the case now. They just make me look like I have wires coming out of my ears.
wink.gif

How do the 4's compare in this respect?

Maybe if I had extra cash I'd spring for the 4p. But I wouldn't be comfortable taking a $300 pair of earphones on the road, which is all I'd use them for anyway (I prefer to use full-sized cans at home... they seem less fatiguing to me). Now that I've had the Grado, Sennheiser and Etymotic experience, I think the next logical step is AKG anyway...

Dec 11, 2001 at 5:49 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Now that I've had the Grado, Sennheiser and Etymotic experience, I think the next logical
step is AKG anyway...

I can tell you from first hand experience, that to my ears anyway, there is something about the Ety listening experience that can only be duplicated by Etys.Since my dog ate my 4Ps and 4S yesterday, I've been listening to Grado HP-1s and MS Pros. While they do sound fantastic, I miss the more personal and inner listening experience afforded by the Etys. They have a very addictive quality to them. I can't wait to get my new 4S and ER6 Thursday!
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2001 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 14
Joe, did you have a nice man-dog talk?

I mean, if my dog ate my Etys, I would definitely explain the situation to my dog: if you eat another headphone, you'll have to live with my grandma. That would do the trick.
smily_headphones1.gif

Pat, you are right, the 4s stick out a lot more than the 6. I like the 6's design more, too, since the 4s are solid as a rock and a bit plain looking. The 6 are soft, rounded and nice to the touch.

They are so short, though, yesterday I was wondering how was I supposed to take them off. I couldn't grab them! I've never had that problem with the 4s. It has something to do with my (big) ear canals, I guess.

And Pat... believe me. There is *no* substitute for the Ety sound. Period. You might like it or not, but I doubt a full size headphone could ever sound this.... special, I guess.

Dec 11, 2001 at 6:10 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
Can I borrow her for a few weeks? Just until after the Holidays then I'll return her good as new.
biggrin.gif

Are you, by any chance, talking about my girlfriend???

NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!!!
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2001 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood

Since my dog ate my 4Ps and 4S yesterday
biggrin.gif

I wonder if you can get insurance for that sort of thing?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back