I need sub $100, circumaural, breathable cushion, running headphones
Dec 15, 2014 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

thready

New Head-Fier
Hi. I'm new here and I need help. I'm copying and pasting what I posted on Overclock.net because I need help but those guys are more into computer stuff so they can't help much.

I need running headphones. I'd like to stick with Audio Technica because that's the only brand I know but if you can make a good argument for another brand then I'm all ears, literally. I have a pair of Audio Technica on ear headphones but my ears get hot when running and I have to take them off to let my ears breathe a bit. So I need completely circumaural with cushiony foam earpieces that let my ears breathe. And I'd need to be able to clean them, so if anyone has tips on cleaning earpads then please let me know. They also need to fit snug on my head. My budget is below $100. I really need to get rid of these nasty earbuds I have because they're disgusting now. They get clogged with earwax and then I can't hear out of them. I had to poke holes in them with a pen to get the earwax out. I know this is TMI, but you all need to know my struggle. MY STRUGGLE! So can somebody help me out?

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 8
Note that any supra-aural design that allows your ears to get some air - like the Sennheiser PX100 and Koss PortaPro - tend to not have enough grip on your skull. Why not just use IEMs? Unless it's an electric car,  a V12 luxury car, or a cyclist (or a hungry cougar, if you have those in your area), you're still likely to hear things going on around you so long as you don't turn the music way up.

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 8

Note that any supra-aural design that allows your ears to get some air - like the Sennheiser PX100 and Koss PortaPro - tend to not have enough grip on your skull. Why not just use IEMs? Unless it's an electric car,  a V12 luxury car, or a cyclist (or a hungry cougar, if you have those in your area), you're still likely to hear things going on around you so long as you don't turn the music way up.

See I don't even know what IEM means though. I don't mind hearing the ambient noise because my gym's pretty quiet. I do a lot of elliptical running and I stand straight up. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 8
  See I don't even know what IEM means though.

In-Ear Monitor. Watch any recent concert and look at the ears of the performers, or even just an episode of The Voice and American Idol. They use professional monitors in there. For more affordable universal fit monitors, check here:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ain-ear%20monitors

I don't mind hearing the ambient noise because my gym's pretty quiet. I do a lot of elliptical running and I stand straight up. 

You can go with the PX100, but again just be aware that vigorous movement will knock that of your head while a properly worn IEM will stay in your ears as much as it stays on a rock/metal vocalist jumping around on stage, the same way that the single earpiece "ear wig" stays in the ear of a soldier or federal agent while running and ducking during a firefight.

That plus how the sweat can get everywhere, and the headband on your head can get in the way of conveniently running your hand across your scalp to sweep hair and sweat away from your face.

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 8

In-Ear Monitor. Watch any recent concert and look at the ears of the performers, or even just an episode of The Voice and American Idol. They use professional monitors in there. For more affordable universal fit monitors, check here:

You can go with the PX100, but again just be aware that vigorous movement will knock that of your head while a properly worn IEM will stay in your ears as much as it stays on a rock/metal vocalist jumping around on stage, the same way that the single earpiece "ear wig" stays in the ear of a soldier or federal agent while running and ducking during a firefight.

That plus how the sweat can get everywhere, and the headband on your head can get in the way of conveniently running your hand across your scalp to sweep hair and sweat away from your face.

I thought about your post some and the only problem I have with ear buds are that they get gunky and I sometimes have to take a paperclip tip or something to them to clean them out. How do I solve this problem?

Dec 16, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 8

I thought about your post some and the only problem I have with ear buds are that they get gunky and I sometimes have to take a paperclip tip or something to them to clean them out. How do I solve this problem?

My ASG-1 came with a cleaning tool; many IEMs come with that one. You can find a lot of budget IEMs punching above their weight - like the Havi B3 Pro, VSonic VS3DS, and TTPod T-1E - according to the detailed reviews, so you can always get something for around $50 to $80 and just buy the cleaning tool separately. Be careful though as some IEMs might have a screen on the bore and you might dislodge that; others have the screen on the disposable tips.

I'm planning to get one of those I listed as soon as my beater IEM kicks the bucket, but so far I've only been using my MEE M6P for running thanks to the comfortable fit of the ASG-1.

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #8 of 8

My ASG-1 came with a cleaning tool; many IEMs come with that one. You can find a lot of budget IEMs punching above their weight - like the Havi B3 Pro, VSonic VS3DS, and TTPod T-1E - according to the detailed reviews, so you can always get something for around $50 to $80 and just buy the cleaning tool separately. Be careful though as some IEMs might have a screen on the bore and you might dislodge that; others have the screen on the disposable tips.

I'm planning to get one of those I listed as soon as my beater IEM kicks the bucket, but so far I've only been using my MEE M6P for running thanks to the comfortable fit of the ASG-1.

I'll look into that. Thanks for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back