I Need Some Help = )
Dec 25, 2008 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LegendarySpok

New Head-Fier
Soooooo.... Christmas.... Money.... I'm deciding to buy some nice headphones (or IEM's or w/e you want to call them) and I have no clue what to buy. So I'd appreciate it greatly if someone helped me finding something that meets my specifications.
Many e-cookies will be given in the process.

So here's what I'm lookin' for:

Price: $200-250ish

I play drums so I need sound isolation.

Music I'll be listening to with these: Dave Matthews Band (really can't think of a genre for them) and Jazz mostly. Nothing resembling metal/rock.

Bass is less important to me. What I'm more concerned with is being able to hear the cymbals (treble i guess) and guitar (mids i would suppose?)

Well, there it is... (though lacking an incredible amount of jargon).
If you need any other specifications or simply want to yell at me for posting in the wrong section / "use SEARCHBAR WROAR" go ahead.

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 10
USE TEH SEARCHBAR MOAR!!!

No, but seriously, welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

I would take a shot saying that the Etymotic ER4P/ER4S is what you're looking for. It's pretty much excellent for everything but rock.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 10
I will second the ER4P/S and also suggest the HF5 as a possibility.

Here are my thoughts on the HF5 and a comparison of the HF5 to the ER4P/ER6i.

There are other fine IEMs out there you will definitely want to consider as well (Sleek Audio SA6 anyone?) in your search, but it's always good to have a starting point to help you take the plunge and make the (hopefully) right decision.

Probably the biggest problem is going to be deciding between a "fun" (usually warmer sounding) IEM and an "analytical" (usually colder sounding) IEM.

Dec 25, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the quick replies = )

An an off note... I just realized I forgot the r in LegendarySpork... argh.

Also these are going to be used mostly with an iPhone 3g if that is at all relevant..

Dec 25, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by LegendarySpok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the quick replies = )

An an off note... I just realized I forgot the r in LegendarySpork... argh.

Also these are going to be used mostly with an iPhone 3g if that is at all relevant..

I'm gonna go to bed soon (for...Santa...
tongue.gif
) but I can offer two things here:

1.) You can PM a mod and ask (nicely!) if they can change your alias name; it's worked for me, but only once.

2.) If you're going to use an iPhone 3G, and you definitely don't see an amp for your portable setup in the future, then choose the ER4P over the ER4S.

Dec 25, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 10
After looking through these, the ER4P/S (what's the difference between the P and S?) and SA6 seem like they fit what I'm looking for. The SA6 seemed kind of cool but are they as bulky as they look?

Also I was looking at Shure SE310/420 headphones and they seemed to be what I was looking for. How do these measure up to the others?

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by LegendarySpok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After looking through these, the ER4P/S (what's the difference between the P and S?) and SA6 seem like they fit what I'm looking for. The SA6 seemed kind of cool but are they as bulky as they look?

Also I was looking at Shure SE310/420 headphones and they seemed to be what I was looking for. How do these measure up to the others?

The P has a lower ohm impedance and is better for use without an amp. The S is the same driver, just with a higher ohm impedance (i.e. different cable, that's it). The S almost requires an amp. Many say the S sounds better, but it is also more expensive to get a decent setup with it. Also, many people in the end will just recable their ER4P/S anyway with a custom cable, so choosing which one you get isn't too important. There's also a P --> S converter cable.

I'd go with the P if you decide to get an ER4, however.

SA6 are just fragile. They have adjustable bass and treble ports as well if you want a sound different than stock.

Unless you want forward mids, stay away from Shure (I have yet to personally hear the 310/420, but everything I know about every Shure IEM is "mids forward, worry about the rest later"). Shure will be an entirely different experience than the SA6, which is kind of in the middle between the Shure and the ER4. I'd say the HF5 is likely between the ER4 and the SA6 (Haven't heard the SA6 personally, just making an educated guess).

Any way you choose, you're getting a fine IEM. None of the IEMs you're looking at are bad, even the Shures.

Dec 26, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 10
$449 is the msrp that shows up on amazon so i guess those sites are the same. as u must know, a lot of iem's sell for less than that so ~300+ for the se530 sounds about right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back