i need help choosing a gaming headset...
Apr 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mashketcup

New Head-Fier
im looking for some decent headphones to game on my pc
under $60 with a mic preferably but not necessary
i will occaisionally use it for music and videos/movies
i have found two here should i get one of these or another?

the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Alpha
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Blaster-Tactic-Headset/dp/B0041OQKIC/

or the Ear Force X12
http://www.amazon.com/Force-Gaming-Headset-Amplified-Stereo-Pc/dp/B005DQG0BO/

Tritton TRIAX-180 AX 180 
http://www.amazon.com/Tritton-TRIAX-180-Universal-Headset-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002P77432/

any help would be appreciated :D

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 12
For starters, the only ones that are really decent in that list are the Creative Tactic3Ds. The Turtle Beach headset (unlike like 90% of Turtle Beach's stuff) doesn't sound too bad, but just like 90% of Turtle Beach gear, they fall apart really easily. The Trittons also sound nice, but once again, they are known to disintegrate if you so much as look at them funny. TBH, it's worth the $10 to step up to the Sigmas (ttp://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Tactic-Headset-70GH014000002/dp/B0041OMWNY/ref=pd_sim_e_2) over the Alphas, because of the 50mm vs. 40mm drivers, and the fact that the Sigmas use metal for headband reinforcement where as the Alphas are just plastic. If you can find them, the Corsair HS1A is a great headset too. One other possibility is the Roccat Kave, if you have something that can do 5.1 analog output, and if you can find them on eBay/Craigslist/whatever for less than their $119 RRP.

Hope this helps :)

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
For starters, the only ones that are really decent in that list are the Creative Tactic3Ds. The Turtle Beach headset (unlike like 90% of Turtle Beach's stuff) doesn't sound too bad, but just like 90% of Turtle Beach gear, they fall apart really easily. The Trittons also sound nice, but once again, they are known to disintegrate if you so much as look at them funny. TBH, it's worth the $10 to step up to the Sigmas (ttp://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Tactic-Headset-70GH014000002/dp/B0041OMWNY/ref=pd_sim_e_2) over the Alphas, because of the 50mm vs. 40mm drivers, and the fact that the Sigmas use metal for headband reinforcement where as the Alphas are just plastic. If you can find them, the Corsair HS1A is a great headset too. One other possibility is the Roccat Kave, if you have something that can do 5.1 analog output, and if you can find them on eBay/Craigslist/whatever for less than their $119 RRP.
Hope this helps

do you know if "realtek high definition audio" supports 5.1 analog output?
what does the Roccat Kave sound like if i dont have a sound card that supports 5.1 analog output?

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 12
Samson SR850 headphones
Zalman mic
Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card ($10 mail in rebate this month).
Total is $80-$90

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
Samson SR850 headphones
Zalman mic
Total is $80-$90

I am also looking for a headset to be used primarily for gaming, but also for music and would like to step up from the $30 Bose set I have.  I was looking at the KRK KNS 6400 set for this.  I saw you have the 8400s and was wondering your opinion on them as a gaming set, is there a reason they wouldn't work well for gaming?  Is the Samson set much better for gaming?  Sorry I'm not much of an audiophile, but would like to get a nice set of headphones that is comfortable to wear for long sessions, good for gaming, has good isolation, and is good for music, especially electronic bass heavy music.

Thanks

Apr 9, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
Quote:
Samson SR850 headphones
Zalman mic
Total is $80-$90

I am also looking for a headset to be used primarily for gaming, but also for music and would like to step up from the $30 Bose set I have.  I was looking at the KRK KNS 6400 set for this.  I saw you have the 8400s and was wondering your opinion on them as a gaming set, is there a reason they wouldn't work well for gaming?  Is the Samson set much better for gaming?  Sorry I'm not much of an audiophile, but would like to get a nice set of headphones that is comfortable to wear for long sessions, good for gaming, has good isolation, and is good for music, especially electronic bass heavy music.

I've never gamed with my KNS 8400, but I can not think of any reason not to use them for gaming.
Open and semi-open headphone seem to be the preferred type for FPS gaming.
Are you going to be using headphones in public?
Are others in the same room where you game?

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for the reply Purple Angel.  I spent some more time reading up on what people like for gaming headsets and read Mad Lust Envys guide and most of the conversation is about being able to isolate the direction of enemies in FPSers and pick up different sounds in them to gain a competitive edge.  The thing is I actually don't play FPS games very much at all, and the kind of headphone that competitive FPS gamers want is not necessarily what I want.  

I'm looking more for a movie theater, immersive type of sound for RTS games like Starcraft 2 and Command and Conquer, RPGs like The Witcher 2 or Skyrim, turn-based strategy games like the Total War series, and the upcoming hack-n-slash dungeon crawler Diablo 3.  These games have lots of cut-scenes, dialogue and cinematics, great musical scores, and different spell and skill sound effects, but the situational awareness through sound of a FPS is not really required.

I'd also use the headphones to listen to music ranging from dubstep to folk music to hard rock and rap and really want quality bass on songs that need it like dubstep and rap songs.

I would also watch DvDs and Bluyrays with the headphones.

So I think I'm looking for a quality set of headphones that can provide a cinematic immersive gaming experience, deliver for all music types especially bass heavy genres, have good isolation properties so I don't hear traffic, computer fans, etc, and be very comfortable for extended gaming sessions.

The 6400 seemed like it would do the job for me, but maybe you have a different take on it?

The headset would likely never leave my room, and there are usually not others in the room.

For reference my current headphones are a set of Bose AE2s, which apparently are like $130.00 headphones (I got them as a gift) but to me they sound like cheap $30 headphones.  They are very comfortable and provide good clarity of mids and highs in my opinion, but their isolation seems bad and the bass seems bad.  Perhaps all I need is a better sound card?

I am not very familiar with other headphones except some in-ear Sennheisers for the gym which I like, and my friends Denons which i really like.  Do you think the 6400s or something like them would be much better than the AE2s?

Thanks again.

Apr 9, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Purple Angel.  I spent some more time reading up on what people like for gaming headsets and read Mad Lust Envys guide and most of the conversation is about being able to isolate the direction of enemies in FPSers and pick up different sounds in them to gain a competitive edge.  The thing is I actually don't play FPS games very much at all, and the kind of headphone that competitive FPS gamers want is not necessarily what I want.  
I'm looking more for a movie theater, immersive type of sound for RTS games like Starcraft 2 and Command and Conquer, RPGs like The Witcher 2 or Skyrim, turn-based strategy games like the Total War series, and the upcoming hack-n-slash dungeon crawler Diablo 3.  These games have lots of cut-scenes, dialogue and cinematics, great musical scores, and different spell and skill sound effects, but the situational awareness through sound of a FPS is not really required.
I'd also use the headphones to listen to music ranging from dubstep to folk music to hard rock and rap and really want quality bass on songs that need it like dubstep and rap songs.
I would also watch DvDs and Bluyrays with the headphones.
So I think I'm looking for a quality set of headphones that can provide a cinematic immersive gaming experience, deliver for all music types especially bass heavy genres, have good isolation properties so I don't hear traffic, computer fans, etc, and be very comfortable for extended gaming sessions.
The 6400 seemed like it would do the job for me, but maybe you have a different take on it?
The headset would likely never leave my room, and there are usually not others in the room.
For reference my current headphones are a set of Bose AE2s, which apparently are like $130.00 headphones (I got them as a gift) but to me they sound like cheap $30 headphones.  They are very comfortable and provide good clarity of mids and highs in my opinion, but their isolation seems bad and the bass seems bad.  Perhaps all I need is a better sound card?
I am not very familiar with other headphones except some in-ear Sennheisers for the gym which I like, and my friends Denons which i really like.  Do you think the 6400s or something like them would be much better than the AE2s?

We like the same games (C&C), the Witcher 1 & 2 are still unopened sitting on a shelf.
Only about 36 days until Diablo 3 comes out.
I like the idea of semi-open headphones, I think you can wear them for longer periods as they do not pound the ears like closed headphones.
But if you like closed, currently the KNS 6400 are going for a good price at $75-$80.
The Asus Xonar DG sound card is $27.00 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month.

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Id recommend sennheiser 598s

He said under 60 dollars... 

To be honest, I would never even bother to use a headset unless it's that good, unless I really needed one for communication. Otherwise, I was good enough to maintain a solid 4.7 KD on my new account (4000+ kills) and a 2.7 on my main one (200,000 kills). 

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
Samson SR850 headphones
Zalman mic
Total is $80-$90

+1 for Zalman mic + real headphones.

Made the switch a few years ago and haven't looked back. Convinced a few skeptical friends to do the same and they are all happy they did. Onboard sound is generally a no-go with that mic though.

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #12 of 12
I can't say how it will sound, because it isn't out yet, but I thought I'd spread the word.

PDP is making a wired and wireless headset that is going to be part of the afterglo series. The headband is extremely stretchable, HD sound (I believe there's 3 modes or something like that), and the best part is it works on PS3/360/PC/Wii/WiiU and your TV!!

$60 for wired and $90 for wireless...

Comes out in october and I hate waiting lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back