I need help ASAP with standalone streamer
Aug 14, 2022 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AuburnM5

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am doing a pretty drastic overhaul of my system and have already moved out several pieces and replaced them. I have really started to get into streaming and have been using my Macbook Pro into my processor. It's okay, but dragging it around the rom is a PIA and I feel I can get much better SQ from a standalone piece. This is 99% going to be used on my 2 channel rig. My processor is an Anthem AVM 90 and my 2 channel preamp is a McIntosh C2700. More than likely, I will plug the streamer into the C2700's USB input and use it's new on board DAC which is amazing. Amp is an MC452 and speakers are Focal Sopra No. 3.

I don't neccessaltily need the streamer to have a DAC unless it's better than the C2700's. I am looking to stay around 2k for the streamer. Any thoughts?

Aug 14, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 6
There really is a number of options, from low cost to "audiophile". While we can discuss about hardware options, from the software point there is one clear winner, and that is Bluesound. Nobody else has such wide support of streaming services, protocols etc. So, if you really want just plug and play, I recommend Bluesound Node or other unit with their BluOS. It is available mainly from NAD, but I noticed other manufactures licenced their software for their products too.

May 9, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 6
Hey guys,

I am doing a pretty drastic overhaul of my system and have already moved out several pieces and replaced them. I have really started to get into streaming and have been using my Macbook Pro into my processor. It's okay, but dragging it around the rom is a PIA and I feel I can get much better SQ from a standalone piece. This is 99% going to be used on my 2 channel rig. My processor is an Anthem AVM 90 and my 2 channel preamp is a McIntosh C2700. More than likely, I will plug the streamer into the C2700's USB input and use it's new on board DAC which is amazing. Amp is an MC452 and speakers are Focal Sopra No. 3.

I don't neccessaltily need the streamer to have a DAC unless it's better than the C2700's. I am looking to stay around 2k for the streamer. Any thoughts?
I am considering an AVM 90 for the built in DAC section. I'm currently using a Denafrips Pontus DAC with an MRX 540 and Lumin U2 Mini. Curious whether the onboard DAC on the AVM 90 will allow me to part ways with the Denafrip Pontus II? I also have a Volmuio Rivo Streamer that in my opinion sounds better than many sub $1500 streamers with upgraded power supply. The U2 mini has a blacker background and slightly more transparent but 2x the cost.

May 9, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 6
Hey guys,

You should also look at a Holo Red or a Lumin U2 mini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back