I need a suggestion on smartphone mostly for bluetooth audio.
Feb 13, 2024 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Zuiner2

New Head-Fier
Hi.
I'm thinking about buying a smartphone good for bluetooth audio.

I have some parameters in mind.

1) Support of LDAC and Aptx-HD.
2) 256Gb storage or more or dedicated microSD card slot. Mostly for music. Now my music folder weighs about 130Gb.
3) 2 SIM cards (not eSIM). This is important for me because I'm using one for work and the other one is my personal.
4) Price limit ~300$.

I'm thinking about something new and most likely chinese. But maybe I should buy something like Xperia 5 II (kinda nice but relatively old).

I'm going to you use it primarily with Qudelix 5K and probably with IFI Gryphon sometimes. And maybe with USB dongles too (mainly Hiby FC6). Aaand in future with something like Facal Bathys perhaps.

I've found out that good bluetooth codec can be not enough. Things like bluetooth antenna and other stuff can be important too.

So please give a suggestion on a phone for bluetooth audio. Maybe you have experience with some good phones that meet my criteria.

Feb 15, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi.
I'm thinking about buying a smartphone good for bluetooth audio.

I have some parameters in mind.

1) Support of LDAC and Aptx-HD.
2) 256Gb storage or more or dedicated microSD card slot. Mostly for music. Now my music folder weighs about 130Gb.
3) 2 SIM cards (not eSIM). This is important for me because I'm using one for work and the other one is my personal.
4) Price limit ~300$.

I'm thinking about something new and most likely chinese. But maybe I should buy something like Xperia 5 II (kinda nice but relatively old).

I'm going to you use it primarily with Qudelix 5K and probably with IFI Gryphon sometimes. And maybe with USB dongles too (mainly Hiby FC6). Aaand in future with something like Facal Bathys perhaps.

I've found out that good bluetooth codec can be not enough. Things like bluetooth antenna and other stuff can be important too.

So please give a suggestion on a phone for bluetooth audio. Maybe you have experience with some good phones that meet my criteria.
Usually at $300 it would be difficult to find a new phone with all the features listed along with good quality Bluetooth antenna. I would suggest that you look for a phone in the pre-owned market.

Feb 15, 2024 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 6
Usually at $300 it would be difficult to find a new phone with all the features listed along with good quality Bluetooth antenna. I would suggest that you look for a phone in the pre-owned market.
Thanks for an advice. Do you know any phones with good bluetooth antennas?
I'm curently thinking of buying POCO X6 Pro.

Feb 15, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for an advice. Do you know any phones with good bluetooth antennas?
I'm curently thinking of buying POCO X6 Pro.
Any phone around $300 would not have a good Bluetooth chip to process the files. You might want to consider a used flagship phone from 2-3 years ago. They would still have better components compared to the newer mid range phones. I’m not sure about the Poco X6.

Feb 15, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 6
Any phone around $300 would not have a good Bluetooth chip to process the files. You might want to consider a used flagship phone from 2-3 years ago. They would still have better components compared to the newer mid range phones. I’m not sure about the Poco X6.
This make sense. But there are some potentials problems with older phones.

1. An old battery. And it can be expensive to replace it in flagship phones.
2. Flagships usually have OLED/AMOLED displays. And as far as I know they degrading relatively fast.
3. Fewer updates or no updates at all.

I consider to buy Sony Xperia 5 II. I can buy it for about 300$ new. It relatively small (I like that) and has a nice camera as a bonus. Since it is Aliexpress a phone can be not new but refurbished.
https://aliexpress.ru/item/10050028...w.productlist.search_results.1.5b705205rUxQXd

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 6
If somebody for some reason is interesting in this topic...

I ended up buying POCO X6 PRO. And so far I like it a lot. It works pretty good with Qudelix 5K and Gryphon with highest bitrate LDAC.

What I don't like. POCO contains a lot of crappy apps that aren't very easy removable but it can be done.
LDAC bitrate automatically sets to adaptive bitrate after every connection to bluetooth device. And you have to manually set 990 LDAC bitrate manually every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back