I must fix Californication.
Jan 3, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #91 of 105

Quote:
Get the vinyl version, It's the only way. It doesn't sound miles better but it's better.

The vinyl is sourced from the CD. IMHO, it sounds worse. I have done 5 different transfers of 5 different pressings and they all suck.

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #92 of 105

Quote:
Quote:
Get the vinyl version, It's the only way. It doesn't sound miles better but it's better.

The vinyl is sourced from the CD. IMHO, it sounds worse. I have done 5 different transfers of 5 different pressings and they all suck.

How about as far as compression goes? I know it was recorded badly, but wouldn't there be less dynamic compression on the vinyl?

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #93 of 105

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How about as far as compression goes? I know it was recorded badly, but wouldn't there be less dynamic compression on the vinyl?

Read what I wrote again.

The vinyl is sourced from the CD!!! I imagine that all they did was lower the level and filter the bass a bit. In essence you are listening to the CD with further processing and a few generations down. Not a good thing at all. The only way to get a decent sounding copy is to restore the CD a bit. Even then it still sounds rather bad.

The best fix is to go back to the multi's and redo everything.

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #94 of 105

Quote:
Read what I wrote again.

The vinyl is sourced from the CD!!! I imagine that all they did was lower the level and filter the bass a bit. In essence you are listening to the CD with further processing and a few generations down. Not a good thing at all. The only way to get a decent sounding copy is to restore the CD a bit. Even then it still sounds rather bad.

The best fix is to go back to the multi's and redo everything.

Right that makes sense then. Sorry I'm not what you call an expert on this sort of thing.

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #97 of 105
Quote:
Damn, I completely forgot about the unmastered version. I read about that a while back on wikipedia I think. Where can I get that?

http://www.google.com

It's your best friend, always.

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #98 of 105

Quote:
Quote:
Damn, I completely forgot about the unmastered version. I read about that a while back on wikipedia I think. Where can I get that?

http://www.google.com

It's your best friend, always.

Good point
redface.gif

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #99 of 105
I really hate it because I love(ed) this album and I've got it in my main playlist, but every time a track comes on I HAVE to skip it.... it's brickwalled so bad that it makes me think the master engineer was trying to ruin them. Stadium Arcadium is the same way, and it just kills me. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #100 of 105

Quote:
I really hate it because I love(ed) this album and I've got it in my main playlist, but every time a track comes on I HAVE to skip it.... it's brickwalled so bad that it makes me think the master engineer was trying to ruin them. Stadium Arcadium is the same way, and it just kills me. 

Californication absolutely needs some help.

This is the best "restoration" I have managed after years of learning little tricks:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5l9ogy
http://www.sendspace.com/file/j0iqtr

Now, that's the best I got after several dozen attempts. In the end I think I got rid of 98% of all the distortion, with "Otherside" being the most difficult track to fix.

Now, Stadium Arcadium is a different story! Stadium Arcadium, on vinyl, sounds amazing.

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #101 of 105

Quote:
Oliver :) said:
Sure did, it is so terribly harsh, clippy & compressed that I listened to it... what, two times? It is just unbearable, shame about the great music.

I got two and a half tracks through death magnetic before retiring it to the never listen to again pile. Even after I got the guitar hero version, still haven't listened to it through completely.

May 24, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #102 of 105
Hmm... Californication doesn't seem that bad to me. I would place it in the top 50% of pop music I've heard. There is the problematic, obvious digital popping and distortion, but the instruments and vocals themselves sound pretty good to me, and I don't find the popping much more distracting than the much more frequent popping on a good vinyl record. Almost all of Jimi Hendrix sounds much worse in terms of instrument separation and fidelity.

May 29, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #104 of 105
Hmm... Californication doesn't seem that bad to me. I would place it in the top 50% of pop music I've heard. There is the problematic, obvious digital popping and distortion, but the instruments and vocals themselves sound pretty good to me, and I don't find the popping much more distracting than the much more frequent popping on a good vinyl record. Almost all of Jimi Hendrix sounds much worse in terms of instrument separation and fidelity.

Holy cow. You necro'd a five year old thread. That has to be a record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back