I just got my Elegia's
Sep 8, 2023 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

WILLJS

100+ Head-Fier
these things are so good, the instrument separation is epic (especially or a closed back) that was the first thing that struch me.

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 14
They're not bad, certainly not for what they go for these days, but it's absolutely insane that Focal ever asked $900 for them. Has kind of soured me on the company despite having nothing bad to say about the Elegia. Hard to expect wonders for $2000+ from Focal when the best they seem willing or able to offer for half that is mediocrity. Closest I can get to real criticism is "they're a bit boring" and "the (older, lamp cord style) included cable is dreadful". And I mean, meh. That's hardly damning.

I could live with them as my only set... But I'm selling them while keeping sets that originally retailed for far less that I feel do pretty much everything as well or better than they do.

I think they're an incredible value (in so far as there is such a thing once you get in to audiophile territory), easily in the top 5, maybe even top 3 best options around $300. A great "first serious set", especially if you need or just prefer a closed back, but they're not for me.

Glad you're happy with yours, don't let my being so jaded take anything from that.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 14
I have heard they're pretty good and a great value for their cost. I haven't heard them before.

Sep 9, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 14
Congrats. These are a bargain at the moment.
I suspect they were overstocked and the updated (similar) models were coming out.

I am enjoying my Elegias with the Dekoni Custom pads and Meze 4.4mm balanced cable.

BTW, make sure to give them at least 75 hours for the drivers to achieve their optimum flexibility.

Enjoy :)

Sep 9, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #5 of 14
i got mine second hand (from a guy i know who bought them on special) so they're already worn in, he only used them a few times after burning them in, so they're practically new

Sep 10, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 14
When they were released they were Focals only closed back besides the stellia and some cheaper plastic models. They were competitive at the release price for a minute. I had a unit with the original cable that was insanely short and cut out a channel intermittently. I think the original discount was because of this problem. I still have my second pair while other headphones have come and gone from my collection. My brother heard mine and bought a pair. I think they are the perfect daily driver for audiophiles sounds wise and durable as it gets to boot. Hard to imagine ever getting rid of these.

Sep 10, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 14
i love them, i've decided to drive these with my Hip Dac and my Hifiman re800 silvers with the fiio e10K, the e10k sounds slightly clearer than the hip dac, when both are at low gain, and Elegias sound better with the Hip Dac on low gain.

this has become my deskptop setup for now.

Sep 10, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 14
I suspect they were overstocked and the updated (similar) models were coming out.

I am enjoying my Elegias with the Dekoni Custom pads and Meze 4.4mm balanced cable.

BTW, make sure to give them at least 75 hours for the drivers to achieve their optimum flexibility.

were did you find a decent balanced cable? i can't see any decent ones on amazon.

Sep 10, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #9 of 14
If you want to take your Eligia's to the next level, buy some Stelia pads and put them on. They are not cheap but definitely worth the upgrade in my opinion. Alternatively Dekoni do sell some cheaper alternatives.

Sep 10, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #10 of 14
damn i keep these things in mind. i miss a closed back in my collection.

right now i find a hifi store which sells them for 400 and they started at 600.

how is the low end on these?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #11 of 14
were did you find a decent balanced cable? i can't see any decent ones on amazon.
I like Meze 4.4mm cables. They offer all price levels, but I find the copper, and silver plated cables suit my taste.

Sep 11, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #12 of 14
damn i keep these things in mind. i miss a closed back in my collection.

right now i find a hifi store which sells them for 400 and they started at 600.

how is the low end on these?
it's good, mine aren't fully burnt in yet so probably not at optimum level, the impact is great though, and the bass extension is pretty good, but as i say, it improves every time i plug them in.

Sep 11, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #13 of 14

I found the Dekoni Custom pads a significant improvement as well.

Sep 11, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 14
i've heard that the dekoni pads are good for these, i deffinately look into them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back