I just found out my RCA cables are in the "wrong direction"......Looks like the world WILL end in 2012!!!!
Jan 2, 2012 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

zeno

Head-Fier
Yep, I saw this morning that my 20 year old Monster RCA cables from both my CD player and my Tuner to my AMP were in the wrong direction.....(Grounding and shielding are the issues and reasons for the arrows on the cables apparently....I have never heard any "noise" from my setup though.) I did not even know the cables had arrows on them before today, and did not know about the shielding issue with them at all until now....Even though I have never had any "noise" issues from them being in the wrong direction, I still went through the trouble of reconnecting them in the right direction.....

The world is safe now, the "Homeland security cable connection alert system" can now be brought back to normal :wink: :wink: :wink:

Jan 2, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 10
Hehe...

How do you know that the arrows are even in the right direction?

wink_face.gif

Jan 2, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #3 of 10
I also checked the direction of the writing on the cables, which is also an indication of the "direction"....Granted both the arrows and the writing "could" be wrong, but the odds are pretty low of that.

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 10
I tested two "directional" Audioquest cables once using a mixed mode ANOVA - I took samples at 916 frequency points over 10 trials for each configuration I found a consistent statistically significant difference between the two "directions", before you get too excited it was an average of approximately 0.001db for one cable and 0.002db for the other..the biggest single difference at any frequency point was 0.022db

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
I tested two "directional" Audioquest cables once using a mixed mode ANOVA - I took samples at 916 frequency points over 10 trials for each configuration I found a consistent statistically significant difference between the two "directions", before you get too excited it was an average of approximately 0.001db for one cable and 0.002db for the other..the biggest single difference at any frequency point was 0.022db

So I presume that small difference is from RF noise issues from the source that was better compensated for when they were in the correct "direction"?

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 10
The world will end on December 21st, 2012 when a CERN scientist purchases a new directional cable for the LHC, and accidentally plugs it in backwards.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:

So I presume that small difference is from RF noise issues from the source that was better compensated for when they were in the correct "direction"?

who knows - I have old ungrounded wiring - but that is speculation

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
The world will end on December 21st, 2012 when a CERN scientist purchases a new directional cable for the LHC, and accidentally plugs it in backwards.

No.  That is absolutely incorrect and absurd.

The machine will be removed from service prior to that so that they can fix about 11 thousand solder joints such that they will be capable of the full 13 kiloamps for full energy runs...a 1.5 year effort.

The end of the world scenario has been postponed until late 2013 or early 2014.  Didn't you get that memo??

Cheers, jn

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Yep, I saw this morning that my 20 year old Monster RCA cables from both my CD player and my Tuner to my AMP were in the wrong direction.....(Grounding and shielding are the issues and reasons for the arrows on the cables apparently....I have never heard any "noise" from my setup though.) I did not even know the cables had arrows on them before today, and did not know about the shielding issue with them at all until now....Even though I have never had any "noise" issues from them being in the wrong direction, I still went through the trouble of reconnecting them in the right direction.....

The world is safe now, the "Homeland security cable connection alert system" can now be brought back to normal :wink: :wink: :wink:

If they are 20 years old then you should leave them that way. The magic crystals have had time to align, and you'll only mess things up by switching them back. Although to be sure, you should probably allow them to burn in for 10 more years before a real "critical" listening.

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #10 of 10
Also, cover them in ERS paper. Come back, Patrick82! All is forgiven (snigger)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back