I could get a Graham Slee Voyager amp for £120. Should I go for it?
Jan 13, 2009 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Christopher

New Head-Fier
Pretty much what the title says... Apparently it's the amp and power supply in good condition, being sold by someone at my uni.

Should I make him an offer? I have some HD650s which crave amplification, and I have an H340 (with Rockbox on) for day to day listening, along with my laptop and various other decent-quality sound sources.

In the long run I'm after a portable amp which has a USB interface as well as the standard analogue amplification aspect (to replace the dire USB audio interface I have at the moment for my laptop), but a good offer may be staring me in the face and I wouldn't know it. I've never heard of Graham Slee before (slap me later, I'm still a relative newbie in the wonderful world of portable amplification) - would you consider ~£120 for a GS Voyager as a good deal or not?

All advice welcome
smily_headphones1.gif
Flames & insults welcomed later.

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crackerman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes! The Voyager is a really nice, simple amp. You can get a standalone USB DAC to go with it for a decent price on ebay, I wouldn't miss out.

I'm really curious as to their sound; for me (studenty type) £120 is still a chunk of money which could be spent in useful ways (gas bill is one think I can think of!) but if it's a really good amp then I will strongly consider it.

What's its sound like? Does it generally flatter most music or is it best paired up with particular headphones? I'd really like to get some fairly impartial reviews which I can trust (because with web site reviews or 'articles' when it comes to this kind of gear, you're never quite sure if it's totally impartial or not, and I generally trust the opinion of most people on here
wink.gif
)

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 8
Read Skylabs Portable Amp Roundup. I think he's up to 47 amps now. Helped me a great deal in deciding on my first amp. As I understand, Graham Slee is a U.K. based manufacturer and is quite highly regarded among enthusiasts. He reviews the Voyager, and gives it pretty good marks SQ-wise, though he did not care for the build quality/appearance too much. Still, at #10 on his list makes it a very good buy. As anything in his top ten is the cream of the crop in portable headphone amps. Good Luck & Enjoy
L3000.gif

Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 8
The Voyager is a very nice unit, I have had two and both provided many hours of listening pleasure. At 120 BP it would be a very good deal and since you are in the UK it would be a simple matter to ship it should it ever need repair.

BTW, I thought of the Voyager a bit better than Skylab. This is fine we do not all like chocolate.
smily_headphones1.gif
Plus I actually like a plastic case since I feel it does not call attention to itself as much as a fancier enclosure. Plus it is lighter.

Good luck.

Jan 14, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #7 of 8
If you don't want it I'll buy it!

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus I actually like a plastic case since I feel it does not call attention to itself as much as a fancier enclosure. Plus it is lighter..

I liked it as well. I thought it looked like an odd piece of 70s studio equipment that no-one knew what it was for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back