I am SICK of TWS headphone manufacturers changing sound signature with firmware updates
May 29, 2023 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BrokeAudiophileMan

100+ Head-Fier
I used to absolutely adore my Momentum 4 and Bathys. The (1.5.1?) firmware for the Bathys sounded PERFECT. I adored them. The previous firmware for the momentum 4 sounded PERFECT. Yes, there were some performance issues which caused me to update, but now I have headphones that work better but sound worse. The Bathys sound anaemic and the wonderful mid range is gone. I can't get it back with EQ I've TRIED. The Momentum have absolutely been (rhymes with graped) by sennheiser in my opinion and they sound anaemic now with less of the low end kick that I loved and the dynamic range has been crushed so they don't get as loud anymore.

What right do these companies have to sell you a headphone that sounds a certain way, and you BUY it based on that, and then a few months later they **** us with a firmware update.
This is penultimate bull and I wish there was a way we could file a class action lawsuit against Focal and Sennheiser but I feel like not enough people who own these devices are hardcore into audio enough to follow through.

This is BS.

May 30, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 12
Adding more battery life > Nerfing Sound

May 31, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 12
Don't buy wireless cans with firmware. Problem solved.
Impossible. Every wireless equipment has firmware. It’s a question of whether that firmware can be modified or not.

Apple is the worst in that case, especially if you use a Mac or iDevice, because updates can never be stopped, and are stealthy. I wouldn’t be surprised if Samsung does something similar with their Galaxy Buds paired to Galaxy phones.

May 31, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 12
Impossible. Every wireless equipment has firmware. It’s a question of whether that firmware can be modified or not.

Apple is the worst in that case, especially if you use a Mac or iDevice, because updates can never be stopped, and are stealthy. I wouldn’t be surprised if Samsung does something similar with their Galaxy Buds paired to Galaxy phones.

Well not to be more of a wiseass but I meant don't buy wireless stuff period. Not wireless stuff with firmware haha

May 31, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 12
Well not to be more of a wiseass but I meant don't buy wireless stuff period. Not wireless stuff with firmware haha

People like you prevent true innovation and great products from existing or succeeding because your (unfortunately very common) viewpoint is "if you don't like the ****ery this company does with its products, don't buy them" while the products are actually excellent and have huge potential and the PROBLEM is these companies thinking they have a right to alter the sound signature of an audio product. Meanwhile the sound signature is the main thing that SELLS audio products. It's like if I bought a red car and one morning I woke up and it was green and the mfg was like "ya we repainted it green overnight when the firmware on your car updated". I BOUGHT a RED car. See what I'm saying?

If more people thought like me, and not like you, these products would be better. Nobody wants to stand up for anything anymore.

May 31, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 12
Don't buy wireless cans with firmware. Problem solved.

You need to learn more about how technology works before you say things like this. All bluetooth enabled products require firmware. Most electronic products, actually, require firmware. Even those little motor thingies for Legos.

May 31, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #11 of 12
People like you prevent true innovation and great products from existing or succeeding because your (unfortunately very common) viewpoint is "if you don't like the ****ery this company does with its products, don't buy them" while the products are actually excellent and have huge potential and the PROBLEM is these companies thinking they have a right to alter the sound signature of an audio product. Meanwhile the sound signature is the main thing that SELLS audio products. It's like if I bought a red car and one morning I woke up and it was green and the mfg was like "ya we repainted it green overnight when the firmware on your car updated". I BOUGHT a RED car. See what I'm saying?

If more people thought like me, and not like you, these products would be better. Nobody wants to stand up for anything anymore.

I'm quite aware how Bluetooth devices and firmware work.
Sorry but you got it backwards companies that feel they can change sound quality for the worse or change function/features with updated firmware should never get anyone's money. If no one bought it maybe they'd change their ways. I think we agree mostly though. I'm just not into portable gear or IEMs much so it doesn't effect me. I'm sure I'm not slowing down these fantastic truly innovative companies though there's plenty of buyers out there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back