I am looking for an on-ear neckband headset
Oct 26, 2014 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Kaoshae

New Head-Fier
I have been searching for this item for a long time with little success, so I thought I would see if anyone knows of a product that fits my preferences.

For headphones, I have been using the Sennheiser PMX60 for years. They have been very comfortable and lightweight, and they don't fall off like over-the-head bands tend to do when I look downward.  I was hoping to find a headset equivalent to the PMX60.

(At this point, please note that I am not interested in the in-ear variant of the neckband design. My ear canals get itchy quite easily, so earbuds aren't really an option)

I bought the Sennheiser PC141 after a long search for such a headset.  The headset works great; however it can be unbelievably uncomfortable and consistently painful.  There is no clearance for your ears to sit comfortably, so my ears either have to be pinched to hell or the headset has to carefully balance on the top edge of my ears, inevitably falling off (one of the things I wanted to avoid by having a neckband headset).  Furthermore, the neckband has a section near each earphone where there is a gap where the wire is seated during manufacture. This gap not only makes two sharp edges of plastic, but it is also downward facing; that is, the weight of the wire pulls sharp pieces of plastic down on the top of my ears.  In contrast, the PMX60 has this gap running along the side near the top, and neither has sharp edges nor does it apply any pressure in this area.   (As a new user on the forums, I wish I could include pictures to help explain. I only hope that I'm explaining this in a way that will be understood.)

I've had the PC141 headset for more than a month now, bearing with it to see if it would break-in and be comfortable after a while. This has not been the case.

So today, I come to you to see if in your travels of audio culture you have come across a headset with the following criteria:
- Light weight, on-ear neckband headset
- plenty of clearance for ears (minimal/no pinching), no need for precarious balancing on the top edge of your ears
- smartly positioned gaps in the neckband for the wires; the headset does not attempt to be an ear-guillotine
- Microphone on a boom; no microphones on-wire à la the iphone earbuds
- Audio quality: any and all. I am not an audiophile, and I just want to see options for this type of headset.
- Connector: USB, 2x 3.5mm plugs, or a 4-pole 3.5mm TRRS headset plug. It doesn't matter.

I appreciate any help on this request.

Thank you,

Kaoshae

Users who are viewing this thread

Back