Hybrid cables: meaning/logic behind it?
Oct 9, 2022 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

OCC7N

Headphoneus Supremus
I am trying to understand why this is a thing from hifi perspective.

What is the meaning of mixing copper and silver, would this not make an imbalance to the sound because of impedance?

Oct 10, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 5
Oct 11, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 5

What is the meaning of mixing copper and silver, would this not make an imbalance to the sound because of impedance?
No.

I have the same concern, but it works.

The same with (relatively) low conductor metals, like palladium or platinum, or gold...

It tunes the sound in a certain way (palladium for instance = "crispness", subjective better bite and resolution - transients -; gold = roundness, weight, richness - tones - ).

Etc.

Voicing a cable is a very, very subtle work... 😉

Hybrid cables: meaning/logic behind it? = voicing, tuning, tailoring a certain type of sound. 👍

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #5 of 5

It’s best to mentally adapt to understanding the metals as filters. Remember (for me) this whole science is fully subjective. Meaning I simply go by how I perceive the changes to be. And they stay the way they are no matter how many years pass. I’ve only begun to use IEM cables to filter the sound, but have a long history of power cables and interconnects. As I migrated over to IEM I use the Hybrid cable as an area of study...to go.....further down the rabbit hole.

The first thing you have to understand is people all have many many years of leaning their biases. Meaning the anti-cable guy started maybe in 1985 to go against cables and maybe never had the abilities to hear cable differences. There is nothing wrong with his hearing, it’s just that he could never hear a difference. He also couldn’t hear a difference between amplifiers and so on. So his constructive reality was pinned down early on and he has gone on from one level to the next self-verifying his beliefs. The cable believer has done the same thing only in reverse. He has maybe learned about the changes brought about from cables then slowly learned more and more and substantiated his beliefs. This is how we finally meet up with two very different belief systems.

The cable guy is getting continuously reconfirmed daily as to his truths and the anti-cable guy is doing the same, because he could never hear cable differences anyway. So somehow he believes the cable believers are mislead and continue to be affected by bias and are fully confused. Where the cable believer understands that the cables are truly able to affect sound.

Back to the filters.

It’s not that every combination is great but often an add of silver will take the warmth of a pure copper cable then add small amounts of brightness. But success is truly only arrived when we think about the total process, meaning the DAP/Cable/IEM used.....and even the song file for that matter. Then the next step is gold which adds authoritative properties and graphene which changes soundstage and other things. Such mixtures create an adaptation of sound and...what comes out the other end is a bouquet of different flavors. Often though it could be looked at as a filtering of bass, but more than that..... spacial changes offer a style of soundstage repositioning which could be from tone, but it just is. Silver will expand soundstage and bring about a style of imaging too.

Meaning when we take the low-end away the midrange and treble have a field day of changing and can move, thus perspective is changed and they seem to reposition? But it’s all connected, and we are dealing with balances, thus take away bass and silver brightness comes out to play. It may have always been there, but now we hear it. Then again brighter cables will seem to bring the treble up, and diminish bass, just because they have more silver. Brighter cables have more speed in imaging and appear faster!

Cable (Hybrid) (silver/copper) personalities are weird as some are only energetic in certain frequency bands. Meaning it’s all about mating them with the correct source or IEM, preferably both, to utilize the full benefits of the cable in use. Or the other way around....take the qualities of the IEM and source and optimize them with the cable! Again some hear it some don’t, that doesn’t mean they don’t exist!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back