Huge memory requirements for Head-Fi
May 27, 2010 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

m1abrams

500+ Head-Fier
I have noticed that I am using a good bit more memory lately than I have in the past.  I noticed that Google Chrome was the culprit.  I checked Chromes task manager to see that Head-Fi tab is using over 650MB of RAM.  Closed the tab and then re-opened it to see it using only ~17MB however within just a few minutes of sitting idle on the main forum page it jumped to 60MB.  I suspect if I leave it open overnight it will climb back into the 500MB range.

May 27, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 7
I've noticed this too. I think there's a memory leak. It starts as small as any other tab, but the more one browses the larger it gets. I've gotten in the habit of closing the tab every now and then to open a new one. Or using multiple tabs which get closed when I'm done with a thread.

May 28, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 7
I'd like to chime in on this aswell.  I noticed not only was Firefox (3.6.3 on Win7 32) using a lot of RAM, it was also using a fair bit of CPU cycles.  I can attribute this to me being on a Netbook, and having browsed the site for a solid six hours last night doing ATDMCB3.

A quick Firefox restart flushed it, and seemed to get my system going a little peppier.

May 28, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 7
Interesting report, guys.  I'm going to forward this along, posthaste.  I browse on a netbook (Samsung NC10)--mostly using Firefox--and have had no problems.  I'll pay more attention to it now, though.

On my Mac (which has a decent amount of RAM), I probably would not have noticed even if Firefox ran away with a lot of it.  I'll pay more attention to it there, too.

May 28, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 7
I do all my browsing on my netbook which is running some variant of ubuntu remix (I can't recall which) but it's running with 2gb of ram and a 1.66ghz processor and haven't noticed any problems. I've used firefox, swiftfox (based on firefox) and opera over the last couple weeks and none of them had any issues. I'm currently on ~80 mb of ram usage with 2 tabs of head-fi among other things and have been on for around 4 hours or so?

May 28, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 7
Well it is easier to see in Chrome that the tab running away with memory is only the Head-fi tab.  It could be just an issue between Chrome and Head-fi specific just wanted to see if anyone else saw this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back