HRT Headstreamer USB DAC - Updated firmware and now volume is stuck at max
Jan 4, 2013 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

g-kowz

New Head-Fier
I updated the firmware successfully for my USB HRT Headstreamer to version 1.7. Before I used to be able to control the volume through WIndows. Now I can't change the volume except in each individual program I'm using and the overall sound is stuck at maximum. I can still mute through Windows. There is no other way to control the volume of the device since there is no knob on it and there is no software that controls it at all. It seems like this is supposed to happen to get better quality sound, but there must be some way to control the volume.

In the playback devices it still shows up. I used to be able to control the volume even if I was supposedly bypassing Windows sound (there was no gray volume meter going with the sound but the volume control still worked). Now I can't even control sound going through Windows.

Another thing, I noticed in my USB information it says that it plays Isochronous instead of Asynchronous like it's supposed to. (It's always been like that).

I also found that I can disable the device in Windows so I have no audio devices enabled but the sound still works. This didn't happen before.

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 5
My goodness.. Just got my ears blasted with Headstreamer 100% volume after updating to HS_1V8.BIN which I assume is the correct one for version 1.8 firmware which USB View now reports.

Guys, don't forget to restart your computer even if you have unplugged and replugged the device just in case!

On another note, after updating from the original 1.0 firmware to 1.8, the sound is quite a bit fuller sounding and there is slightly less grain for cymbals, etc in the treble. If it's not my imagination, I am certainly very impressed! I also changed my normal volume setting from 18% to 10%, so something has definitely changed. 

If there are any HRT representatives on the forums, please feel free to confirm or deny my findings. I previously found my HRT Headstreamer practically unusable due to the shrill sound of the original firmware, but I think it's pretty good now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back