How to use ASIO Drivers?
Aug 14, 2004 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Bluestreak

New Head-Fier
I hear a lot of raving about ASIO, but I can't make heads or tails on how to use it for my rig. Are there ASIO plugins that you can use for Winamp or better yet, QCD? I downloaded the drivers straight from a Japanese site (version .47) but it seems to be uncompiled. There's no instructions anywhere on how to get them working. I have no idea how to utilize these drivers so I can try them out for myself. Help?
basshead.gif

Aug 14, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #2 of 11
Aug 14, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 11
Bluestrack.

Can yuo give a bit more data on what you system looks like.

With the ASIO plugin for Winamp you install a new output plugin. Depending on what sound card you have (?) this plugin will either work directly or you if your card does not have an ASIO driver but has a WDM kernel interface a shim layer like ASIO4ALL will work.

The benefit is that this will enable you bit berfect playback on certsin OSes.

What is your sound card and which OS do you use?

Cheers

Thomas

Aug 15, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #8 of 11
The audigy card is stuck with 48Khz output.

Using ASIO might give you a slight advantage in bypassing the Windows kmixer but your music is still being resampled by the card unless you use a higher resolution resampler in your player.

Cheers

Thomas

Aug 18, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #10 of 11
I coincidentally also own an Optoplay and it works just fine with asio4all and gives you bit perfect output with that.

I did not find a good reason to buy the commercial driver unless for some reason you want a direct ASIO over USB solution.

Cheers

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back