How to upgrade my PB G4 as a source....
Sep 23, 2004 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mortlach

New Head-Fier
Dear Head-Fiers,

could anybody kindly provide some info on how to best upgrade my old Ti-Book G4 500 as a source? Currently, the setup is as follows:

PB G4 line-out -> Oehlbach mini-to-mini -> Porta Corda amp -> Etys 4P/S.

To upgrade the PB as a source, these are the options I'm considering:
- M-Audio Transit
- M-Audio Audiophile USB
- M-Audio Audiophile Firewire
- Terratec Phase 26 USB
- Art Two Channel AD/DA Converter

Will the more expensive (latter) options be worth the extra buck compared to the Transit? Or should I just go for the Transit for now and then add a serious DAC later?

Many thanks, your input is greatly appreciated!

Sep 23, 2004 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 4
I have a G4 iBook which is a little newer than what you have but the units are probably fairly comparable. This is my upgrade path over the last couple of months:

1. Bought the Transit. Listened with Etys straight out of the unit. Pretty good, especially since I had nothing to compare it to. The Transit is a little clearer than the apple sound card but not a huge difference.

2. Bought a JMT Portable PIMETA. This made a big difference. You aleady have an amp so the Transit will be a nice improvement.

3. The main reason why I bought a Transit was because I knew an external DAC was in the near future. I bought an AOS Piccolo which really made a significant improvement in the system. I am amazed at the quality of this budget/portable DAC. If you want to stay portable, it is a great unit!!

4. Bought a Zu Pivot cable to connect the Piccolo to the PIMETA, and once again a noticeable upgrade. At this point I could easily have stopped. The sound is truly enjoyable, smooth, detailed, good sense of space. Very close to my standalone Nakamichi CD player.

5. Just got an SR-71 a few days ago, and wow. The synergy between the Piccolo and SR-71 is amazing!! Once I burn it in I will attempt to write a review. This combination finally beats my standalone Nak CD player.

6. Just for comparison, I occasional hook up the PIMETA, and although the SR-71 is a step up (three times the price), that PIMETA amp is really a great unit. If I ever had to go back to it, I would still be happy.

I have not listened to your other soundcard choices, but I have spent some time with the Transit and it is a great budget solution to introducing a DAC to your setup. Hope this helps.

dshea

Sep 26, 2004 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 4
I have a PBG4 Ti 800, and I'm listening through the Firewire Audiophile's headphone jack to my Senn HD600.
I don't have too well-trained ears, and I can't really tell too much difference from the PB's headphone jack... except maybe a bit more space in the sound. (and that it can drive HD600 much louder...)
However I do like its many options, software control, and build quality. Looks nice too... if it's just for a digital out, maybe this option is a bit more costy.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread... but I want to ask if a DAC or amp can make a much more noticeable difference in my case? At first sight it seems that an amp will make more of a difference for Transit, but not Audiophile FW?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back