How-to: turn your USB-C DAP to accept wireless charging
Apr 21, 2020 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Metalomaniac

100+ Head-Fier
I recently got Hiby R5, and I want it to last me longer than the Sony (loose 3.5mm port) or all around awful Caylien I had. The charging port might become loose over time, which was a major issue with micro-USB ports, though possibly not with USB-C which seems to be a more robust design.

I got a hot tip here about the existence of a wireless charging receiver which plugs into the USB-C port, bought one for around 12 EUR, and now I have wireless charging! It's barely thicker than paper, so it fits into the leather case just fine, and the plug itself is unobtrusive. It comes with adhesive, which wasn't necessary. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that wireless charging works even with the DAP in the case.

I also installed an app called Full Battery Charge Alarm which I set to give an alarm at 80% when charging, and then I remove the DAP from the pad. As far as I know Li-ion batteries have best longevity when kept between 20-80% with only an occasional cycle from 0% to 100%, so this way I don't overcharge it.

Now, if I could just do the same with the 3.5mm port, as that will become loose over time... Perhaps put in a 3.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor permanently in it, so the adaptor loosens up, and the port itself doesn't. Fortunately the R5 has a 4.4mm port as a backup, a major factor in me choosing this over Sony NW-A105 (another being the awful battery life of the Sony).

Credit where credit is due: I picked this up from a Youtube video with more hacks here, link from head-fier Q Mass.

CollageMaker_20200421_125550532.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 4
How does it alarm you at 80 pct charge if the dap doesn't have a speaker (like a phone would)?

I too keep my daps between 15 and 85 percent for longevity sake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back