How to test speakers for audio distortions?
Sep 11, 2020 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

MonarchX

New Head-Fier
My old Logitech Z-680 speakers sound distorted when producing certain sounds in video games. I am not an audiophile, but I can tell something is off. It tends to happen to one speaker more frequently than to the other in my 2.1 setup. I use ASUS Xonar DGX PCIe with UNi Xonar drivers (Low-Latency Mode). Switching from TOSLINK to analog makes no difference. It mostly happens in Rainbow Six: Siege, which is why I want to rule out that this isn't a game-related issue. It also happens in Windows Sound Settings test, but only to one speaker. It sounds like overblown treble, but again, only in very specific situations. Driver DPC latency test with LatencyMon produces great results.

I would appreciate if someone would advice me how to narrow down to what is the cause of the problem. I think I need some test audio files that I can play to figure out the problem. The ones I find on the internet sound great on these speakers, but I don't think they test the entire range of sounds and/or frequencies. I use MPC-HC with LAV filters for audio playback (without any direct pass-through).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back