How to ruin Sennheiser MX-500s
Nov 12, 2002 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Wodgy

Headphoneus Supremus
In case you're ever thinking about it, don't dunk the earpieces in isopropyl alcohol. It ruins the sound. I thought it would be a good way to clean earwax off the earpieces, but clearly alcohol damages the drivers.

Nov 12, 2002 at 9:18 AM Post #2 of 13
thanks for the info....er....earwax? Don't you use the supplied ear bud covers?
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2002 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 13
mmm, I'll remember that.

they realy are better with the foamies tho. radioshack or some similar store should have them.

Nov 12, 2002 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 13
You mean you can actually make the mx-500s sound worse?
biggrin.gif

Sorry, but I hate those damn earbuds. They're just the most boring set of headphones I have ever heard. They manage to make all my music sound uninteresting. Sennheiser mx-500: For those times when you really don't want to hear any music at all.

Nov 12, 2002 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Kubernetes

Sorry, but I hate those damn earbuds. They're just the most boring set of headphones I have ever heard. They manage to make all my music sound uninteresting. Sennheiser mx-500: For those times when you really don't want to hear any music at all.

compared to what? a full size can or even the ksc-35, sure... but in earbud world what is significantly better (and ety's don't count -- they are in a totally different price range and are canal phones). for the price and convenience they offer, don't they beat out 90% of the other earbuds out there?

Nov 12, 2002 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 13
I could care less about the price. On an absolute scale, these earbuds sound like ass to me. The entire purpose of listening to music on various bits of equipment is to enjoy the music. The mx-500s just make everything sound stale and soulless, so I could care less if they cost $.50 or if their competition sounds even worse.

Nov 12, 2002 at 7:38 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

I could care less about the price. On an absolute scale, these earbuds sound like ass to me. The entire purpose of listening to music on various bits of equipment is to enjoy the music. The mx-500s just make everything sound stale and soulless, so I could care less if they cost $.50 or if their competition sounds even worse.

well, for the record, i'm in the same camp as you... i prefer not to listen to earbuds these days, and for when i need convenience i reach for my ksc-50 or portapro. but i took your original post to mean that only the mx500's suck (when in fact, iyo, all earbuds suck). looking at the rigs in your sig, i can see your ears are probably crying in pain at such a level of quality loss.

Nov 12, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #11 of 13
Actually, I like my Sony 888lp's just fine. While not as "neutral" as the mx-500s, they're lively and make music highly enjoyable to listen to.

Nov 12, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 13
...Whereas my earphones on my Nokia 8310 Cellphones handsfree kit sound better than pretty much all other earbuds (excluding ETYs) that I own
eek.gif

The phone has a radio in it... and the supplied earphones... whilst not being up to high end Senn standard ~ are REALLY, genuinly kinda good...

look like cheap Sony rip-offs though
mad.gif

Nov 13, 2002 at 8:01 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

You mean you can actually make the mx-500s sound worse?
biggrin.gif

the mx500 doesnt deliver the best acoustic sound compared to the big boys but they do what they do quite it admirably.

I just found those bud covers today in the bottom of my bag. They definitely sounds alot fuller and better imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back