How to measure sound level in IEMs
Mar 3, 2010 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jwhitakr

Head-Fier
Before posting I did a number of searches on "sound level" and "measure sound level", and was not able to find any answer to my question. If this question has already been asked and answered, please point me to the thread.

I am looking for an objective way to measure the sound level in a set of IEMs order to be able to do A/B testing. Up to this point I have always guesstimated sound level when doing A/B testing with IEMs.

I use a standard Radioshack SPL meter for measuring the same with speakers, but for obvious reasons an SPL meter does not work with IEMs.

Cheers for any ideas / info that anyone can provide.

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 4
Not sure if this is 100% accurate in an absolute sense, but I do get pretty consistent readings with the Iphone SPL app when I press the IEMs up to the mic.

The mic is really small (about the size of the IEM opening), and the foam tips seal around it, which I would think mimics the ear pretty well.

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 4
This is quite an interesting question, and more important than you'd think. My audiologist claimed that using IEMs will cause the listener to listen to music at lower volumes, since you won't have to crank the volume to overcome ambient noise. In reality, however, IEMs can be a huge temptation to listeners who prefer their music loud, and the bass in several IEM makes is potent enough to make your ears ring.

Objective measurements would be very welcome.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if this is 100% accurate in an absolute sense, but I do get pretty consistent readings with the Iphone SPL app when I press the IEMs up to the mic.

The mic is really small (about the size of the IEM opening), and the foam tips seal around it, which I would think mimics the ear pretty well.

Good idea, and even if the measurements aren't 100% accurate, it sounds like that'd be a pretty reliable way to at least insure you have the same sound level with two sets of IEMs. Except in my case I don't have an iPhone.
redface.gif

Which iPhone are you using? 3G or 3Gs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back