How to identify Headphone Wires
May 6, 2010 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TempleClause

New Head-Fier
Helle everyone,

because of an accident the 3.5 mm headphone plug fell of my headphones.
I bought a new 3.5mm Plug and would like to solder it to my headphones, problem is I haven't got a clue which of the wires is Left , Right and Ground. Is there a way to identify them (for example with meassuring them out with a multimeter) ?
It are Sennheiser Headphones.

Cheers
TempleClause

May 6, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 14
Get a AAA battery.

Put the headphones on your head.

Hold one wire to the bottom of the battery.

Tap one of the other wires to the battery.  (Don't leave it on as it might blow your drivers.)

If both earpieces make sound, you are holding both hot wires and the one not connected is the ground.

If only one ear makes the noise, the remaining wire is the hot wire for the other ear.

From there it's just a process of elimination, eh?

May 6, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 14
Nice little trink :-D

Just to go sure I don't break my headphones, I didn't quite get the part where you wrote :
(Don't leave it on as it might blow your drivers.)
What shouldn't I leave on what ?

Cheers

May 6, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 14
Don't leave the wires connected. Just tap it, you'll head a thump ... click ... clump ... something like that.

I realize I should edit the above to read: Tap one of the other wires to the other end of the battery. (Don't leave it on as it might blow your drivers.)

And for goodness sake don't use a 9 volt battery or you'll have a driver coil impaled in your ear.

May 7, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #9 of 14
Oh yeah could I maybe just replace the whole cable ? Is that easy to do ? I'm wondering if the Cable is just plugged into the headphones ? Than it would be dead simple to replace it.

Cheers

May 7, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #10 of 14
Just double checked ... works fine for me.

One wire to one end of the battery, one wire tapping on the other end?

If it doesn't work, your headphones aren't working.

Got a meter?

May 7, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #12 of 14
Headphone wire usually is covered with an insulating enemal.
You have to tap the battery with the very end of the wires where they should be conducting.
If the wires snapped off before that end you have to remove the insulation, e.g. by scraping it off with a knife or using a ligther flame (for a fraction of a second).

May 25, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #14 of 14
What colour are they? Generally there's 3-4 wires. The 'natural' copper looking ones are ground. Red is usually Right. Left is usually blue or green.

If you have the middle pin at the bottom and the plug facing away from you, the right pin is right, the middle pin is ground. 

http://www.instructables.com/id/Replacing-the-jack-on-a-pair-of-headphones/ this was what i did back when i fixed mine, but it could vary based on the make and model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back