How to get digital audio output from a laptop?
Aug 18, 2004 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ferbose

Headphoneus Supremus
I am a newby to the realm of computer-as-source. I would like to showcase my Benchmark DAC1 + K501 to friends at work without lugging around a DVD/CD player. I know there are some USB-based external sound cards with digital out. Since DAC1 is immune to interface jitter, I just need a "bit-perfect" output. What is the most cost effective way to add digital output to my laptop?

Aug 18, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 7
I agree, the M-audio Transit is excellent. But what would be much better is to mount the Transit inside your Benchmark DAC and interface it directly to the receiver chip. This will eliminate one or both S/PDIF interfaces and a S/PDIF cable. Very low jitter is the result. I have modded a couple of these already and they turn out spectacular. Better than my reference transport, which is a really good one. I can do this with virtually any DAC.

Aug 18, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
You should look into an M-Audio Transit with the 12.05.[something] drivers.

I have a transit. What are these drivers and what's special about them? Thanks!

Aug 19, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
I have a transit. What are these drivers and what's special about them? Thanks!

They allow bit-perfect digital output while the newer versions don't for some reason. That isn't the exact version number and I might be thinking about the original Sonica.

Aug 21, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 7
I have gone ahead and ordered a Transit.
Can I just use Windows media player and PowerDVD to play CD/DVD and get bit-perfect digital output into my DAC1?

Aug 21, 2004 at 10:43 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
They allow bit-perfect digital output while the newer versions don't for some reason. That isn't the exact version number and I might be thinking about the original Sonica.

1.2.0.5 are Sonica's drivers not Transit's. The latest drivers of Sonica were 1.2.2.0, version 1.2.0.5 should be a bit-perfect. Current Transit drivers are of ver. 1.0.2.2. All mentioned drivers are for Win OS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back