How to determine headphone jack quality? (and more)
Nov 18, 2004 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

rincewind

1000+ Head-Fier
How do I figure out the quality/impedance/some kind of concrete numbers on the headphone jack of the NAD T742? (or any headphone jack in general)?

I want to know how well it can drive cans compared to say a headphone amp. From online reading, I can't get actual numbers for that model, or a way to measure it (anyone know some fancy tricks with an ohmeter???)

From what I've read, the NAD headphone jacks are quite good.. but that's just subjective and no real comparisons stated. eg "better than X or Y headphone amp, but worse than A and B".

The problem is, noone here sells headphone amps so I'll never really know how good a signal I'm getting from my amp compared to a headphone amp, without buying one to try it out.

I'm getting some Senn HD650's and want to know if the NAD jack will do them justice. If not, I'll have to figure out how I can incorporate a headphone amp into my setup without the need for switched cabling and whatnot. Can you just use a spare output from an AV receiver? I think I could, but I'm worried about the signal getting amplified twice..

Anyway, tell me what u think!

Also any recommendations on headphone amps (that are gonna be significantly better than the NAD, if you know) and how I might go about setting it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back