How to define whether a power cable should be used for AMP or DAC?
Dec 9, 2023 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Jacii

New Head-Fier
For example, I've heard that cable with gauge 14 AWG should be used for source or DAC, while cable with gauge 10 should be used for AMP. According to Kimber, and some audiophiles. Can anybody share your experience or opinion in this case?

Dec 27, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #2 of 3
The gauge of the wire that you need depends on few factors. I hope these help.

Attachments

• IMG_1652.jpeg
    IMG_1652.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1651.png
    IMG_1651.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1650.png
    IMG_1650.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
Dec 31, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 3
I believe the OP was asking about the power cable, not speaker cables. Speaker cable lengths are sometimes critical because you can get a significant voltage drop if circumstances are poor (high power, long distances).

As for a power cable use with a DAC, it's not going to make a tremendous difference unless the DAC or source is not well grounded or shielded from extraneous noise like 60Hz hum. To minimize that in a power cable, there are probably many audiophile power cables available, too numerous to mention. Barring some esoteric transformers or tubes in use on the source or DAC, my opinion would be that a standard grounded power cable is going to be just fine. IMHO, your signal connecting cables from the output of the DAC or source are a bigger potential for noise than the power cable. You should always use shielded signal cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back