How to connect Portable Headphone AMP with 2.5 Balanced Cable?
Oct 16, 2018 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

100+ Head-Fier
I use a Portable Player with 3.5mm and 2.5 Balanced Output and want an AMP for it. But AMPs like the Fiio A5 dont had a 2.5 Balanced Output. So how can i connect the 2.5 Balanced Headphones Cable with the AMP to use Balanced Sound?

Oct 16, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 5
I use a Portable Player with 3.5mm and 2.5 Balanced Output and want an AMP for it. But AMPs like the Fiio A5 dont had a 2.5 Balanced Output. So how can i connect the 2.5 Balanced Headphones Cable with the AMP to use Balanced Sound?

You don't, the A5 is a single-ended amp. There's nothing you can do to it to make it balanced, unless you want to get two of them and get some custom cables and treat them as monoblocks.

Oct 16, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 5
Honestly, there's nothing wrong with your amp. I would say just enjojy it single-ended.

There are not actually a ton of current-production amps that have analog balanced inputs. Even among units with balanced outputs, a lot of them only except single-ended input. (Or they're dac/amps intended to be used with the on-board dac.)

I can list some models that do have balanced input and output, but first can you let me know what your budget is and whether you care about how big/bulky the amp is? That'll help narrow the field.

Feb 1, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 5
Honestly, there's nothing wrong with your amp. I would say just enjojy it single-ended.

There are not actually a ton of current-production amps that have analog balanced inputs. Even among units with balanced outputs, a lot of them only except single-ended input. (Or they're dac/amps intended to be used with the on-board dac.)

I can list some models that do have balanced input and output, but first can you let me know what your budget is and whether you care about how big/bulky the amp is? That'll help narrow the field.

Hopping on this thread. I am also looking for a portable amp with 2.5mm balanced in and out. The only one I know of currently is the iFi xCan. But I'm not looking for bluetooth functionality, or any DAC functionality. Any ideas?

Edit: Nvm, found another thread with answers: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/portable-amps-with-balanced-and-unbalanced-inputs.890501/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back