How to check what internal DAC your computer is using...
Jan 16, 2011 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

juman231

100+ Head-Fier
Is there any way to check what DAC your desktop is using? I am reading so much about how a DAC changes the sound quality greatly as it replaces the usually mediocre soundcard computers have, but I wanted to hear the difference this before spending my money. What I did was to compare listening to music from my Cowon J3 and straight from my laptop with ath-m50. It wasn't as strictly planned AB testing, but I honestly do not hear any noticeable difference between the two...Although I know the DAC on the J3 isn't as good as an external dedicated DAC, but supposedly it should be better than my laptop's DAC, correct? Maybe interal DAC on my computer isn't that bad? How do I check? The closest I got was checking the audio driver on my laptop, and it just says hi-def realtek audio...

From figuring this out, I'd like to determine whether my ears aren't sensitive enough to notice the obvious inferiority of the DAC, which would mean I wouldn't need a DAC in the future, although I might need an amp to drive harder to drive headphones.

What sonic improvements do external DACs usually give? Less white noise in the recordings? More detail? If you guys can tell me what to look for, I might be better able to compare the two setups I've tried before and look for differences.

Thanks for your advises.

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 15
Well, let me take a stab at it.

Basically, if your transducers (headphone, speakers) are not very good, different grades of DACs might not make much of a difference. Low quality source material (MP3, for example) is often so degraded that, once again, a cheap DAC versus a quality DAC might not sound that different.

If you have good speakers/headphones, and high-quality (full or high resolution digital audio), then the differences between DACs should be readily apparent.

You are off to a good start, namely believing what your ears tell you, rather than relying upon what other people say. You can read my reviews over at 6moons on the Lavry DA-11, the Wilson Sashas and the Weiss INT 202 which each contain some suggestions for what one should listen for, in terms of differentiating various products.

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
You are off to a good start, namely believing what your ears tell you, rather than relying upon what other people say. You can read my reviews over at 6moons on the Lavry DA-11, the Wilson Sashas and the Weiss INT 202 which each contain some suggestions for what one should listen for, in terms of differentiating various products.

I visited 6moons but I can't seem to find a search function and is very different design-wise to head-fi. Can you provide me with a specific link?

Quote:
Just order one or two DACs you can return within 2 weeks or 1 month and compare them. What headphones are you using?

I am using Audio Technica's Ath-M50. It's been getting excessively static-y noise, so I am getting a replacement soon, but once I get it, I was planning to get a DAC and compare.  Thanks for the advise.

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 15
A simple question, and hopefully a bump to anyone out there to help me concerning the OP...If I buy a DAC and connect to my laptop, can I just connect my headphones to the DAC if it has low impedance at around 40 ohm? It runs fine on my laptop headphone out. Would this be potentially harmful to the mechanics of the DAC or not? 

thanks.

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 15
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/lavry/dac.html for the Lavry
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/wilson/1.html  for the Sashas
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiophilleo/1.html  for the Audiophilleo1 and 2

A USB DAC with a headphone amp (Bel Canto, Lavry, Furutech GT40) will work well.

@juman where are you located? That may influence what devices you should audition. Usually local dealers will be happy to do this for you.

The internal DACs in laptops, etc., will be modest quality, and of course the inside of the computer is awash in EMI.

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 15
Wow, thanks for the links. I'll read it in depth tomorrow! I've been on computer for too long and have a mild headache right now.

So are you saying that it's not possible to connect headphone directly to the external DAC (without any external amp)? since I just want to compare what difference an external DAC makes to the sound quality, I want to avoid any any other random variables. I'm currently thinking of purchasing the fiio e7 or the HRT music streamer II to compare with my laptop's internal DAC.

I live in Southern California, maybe 1 hour away from Los Angeles. I'd really like to visit one of the audio shops and audition some gears but I can't drive yet.

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 15
A DAC (i find) improves the clarity of the onboard audio and fills up the space in front of you. Without a DAC, the music seems to be coming from your two sides while a DAC provides a surround sound effect. 

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
A simple question, and hopefully a bump to anyone out there to help me concerning the OP...If I buy a DAC and connect to my laptop, can I just connect my headphones to the DAC if it has low impedance at around 40 ohm? It runs fine on my laptop headphone out. Would this be potentially harmful to the mechanics of the DAC or not? 

thanks.

Would appreciate it if anyone can help me on this as well.

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Quote:

thanks.

Would appreciate it if anyone can help me on this as well.

figured this out. A standalone dac like the RST Music Streamer II only comes with line out doc, so volume control is not possible unless you have an amp.  I still don't know how it will affect/damage the mechanics though.

Also, i think I'm able to hear my laptop's inferior SQ. There's a quite noticeable noise floor. And the statics in the songs when they hit the dynamic parts. I want to compare the SQ of my laptop to headphone setup with a laptop+dac/amp. Will probably purchase the E7/E9 or the Audinst HUD mx1 in the near future to test them out. .  

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #14 of 15
i don't think it would help since music streamer II only has RCA line out. Increasing the volume on computer shouldn't change anything. Isn't the purpose of line out to provide continuous signal that does not change for the amp?

Jan 23, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #15 of 15
@juman231... the output on the DAC headphone amps is designed for low-impedance 32-40 Ohm loads. The line out level is within a certain specified range, say 2.0 V RMS, and varies according to any attenuation you may have dialed in using a preamp. Many DACs now have preamp functions built in. You might consider the inexpensive NuForce USB DACs, around $150, as well as the Furutech GT 40 which is around $450. Haven't heard either, but except to have the GT 40 in-house soon.

If you're using a Music Streamer type device, the computer media player controls the output. The analogue output from the Music Streamer will vary accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back