How to check if a flac file is real?
Jun 1, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #31 of 40
Jun 13, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #32 of 40
Thanks for the tips. I myself am worried about this as well. When artists release free albums with FLAC, ALAC, WAV and MP3 and it could be possible that they transcode the other files. Due to poor recording errors or truly a transcode.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #33 of 40
Another method is to convert the track from Left Right Stereo to Mid Side Stereo, then isolating the Side Channel alone. A quick way is to grab those simple vocal remover plugins, which essentially does the same thing.

The side channel will tend reveal compression artifacts much more than the left right channels as i think the mp3 encoding process uses much less data when encoding the sides in Joint Stereo mode.

May 20, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #36 of 40
  Perhaps not quite a legit answer, but anyway I was wondering.

If you can't hear the difference between a FLAC and a MP3, why would you bother to use FLAC?

Kind regards.

My main reason for using FLAC is for archival purposes. Even though MP3 is basically universally supported, if I needed a different format for some reason, I would want to start with a lossless copy rather than (for instance) making a lossy copy based off an already lossy copy. 

I have enough storage and it is cheap enough that I'm not really worried about file size. I generally convert to MP3 v0 for my portable devices though and leave the large files at home. 

May 20, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #37 of 40
  Perhaps not quite a legit answer, but anyway I was wondering.

If you can't hear the difference between a FLAC and a MP3, why would you bother to use FLAC?

Kind regards.

d69d20af_Necromancy.PNG

First post and your already a Master Necromancer.    
wink.gif

May 21, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

My main reason for using FLAC is for archival purposes. Even though MP3 is basically universally supported, if I needed a different format for some reason, I would want to start with a lossless copy rather than (for instance) making a lossy copy based off an already lossy copy. 

I have enough storage and it is cheap enough that I'm not really worried about file size. I generally convert to MP3 v0 for my portable devices though and leave the large files at home. 

Ah I see. So if I were to become an Apple fanboy and want to convert all my audio files to AAC, then the original FLAC would give me a better audio file (compared to MP3)?

And what if I convert a FLAC to m4a and then back to FLAC. Both are lossless, but will the two FLACs be identical?

May 21, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #39 of 40
  Quote:

Ah I see. So if I were to become an Apple fanboy and want to convert all my audio files to AAC, then the original FLAC would give me a better audio file (compared to MP3)?

And what if I convert a FLAC to m4a and then back to FLAC. Both are lossless, but will the two FLACs be identical?

m4a is a container format, and can contain either AAC or ALAC. Converting a FLAC to ALAC and back should keep the audio content identical, as they are both lossless formats.

May 23, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #40 of 40
I find it sometimes difficult to check by spectrogram because of the recording of that song. The high frequency part is already gone. Software like audiochecker sometimes gives strange results: It says my FLAC is 95% fake, but after I convert it to wav and check again, it says it's 100% genuine now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back