How silent should my IEM be?
Jan 22, 2008 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

s0n1c6l1ss

Head-Fier
I have been using Shure E500 for around a month and I believe that I do know how to wear them : ). However, whether I use the foam sleeves or any other*, I can still hear outside sounds fairly well -- obviously, especially when there is no music.

How quiet does it get for you guys?

* haven't used the triple flanges.

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 9
many people expect complete silence but you know you have a good seal if you can hear sounds but they sound muffled and so on, if they dont sound muffled chances are you need to experiment with tip sizes and so on, the e500 are some of the better earphones at blocking out noise and the tips make a difference ofcourse

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 9
I usually snap my fingers near each ear to hear if I have a good seal. With a good seal on my tri-flanges, a snap about 6 inches away sounds like a soft thud, still audible with no crispness. That is also a good way to make sure they have the same level of sealing. I have a devil of a time getting my left canal sealed.

How is that for a scientific test?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 9
if you live near a crowded subway or busstop or any place where there alot of people like downtown, you can head down there and test them out that way

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 9
remenber this, sound can travel trough your body, you can still hear the outside even when your ears are perfectly sealed.

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 9
In my experience with IEMs with no music playing I can still hear external sounds.. IEMs don't make you deaf. The sounds are just very muffled but you can still hear them. You won't be able to hear quiet things like someone whispering next to you, though.

Jan 23, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for confirming that! I do manage a good seal, however, I can still hear the muffled outside sounds. I can carry on a conversation with a person near me (without him being extra loud, and without sounding like that myself). Though it is harder to clearly hear my own voice which makes it a little weird.

Jan 23, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 9
I have Ultimate Ear Superfi 3s. When I use the silicon tips that fit my ears, the isolation is very good. But they must go up my neck, make a hook around my ear like a "C" and be pressed tightly into my ear canal. Selecting the right size of tips is very important. Furthermore environment is a huge factor. Listening in my dorm or the library provides complete isolation(especially with a headphone amp) But while exercising or walking, the isolation is not great. When I walk in the snow, I get a squishy noise.

My advice: Read the manual that came with your "phones". I didn't read mine for 10 months. Turns out I had been wearing them wrong. UE SF 3s must go over the ear and do not fit inside like iPod earbuds. Secondly, use your phones with a headphone amp in a quiet room. You will be pleased with the results!

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 9
Zunefan1, I am pleased with the results and I do wear my E500's over the ear
as it says in the manual. It was just that I had heard exaggerations on the
amount of isolation they provide (or so I assumed), and needed to confirm.
You're right about the sound not being fine until the seal is properly made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back