How NOT to do a META42
Jul 17, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #47 of 52
It is a very valid comparison to compare cable price to the price of the unit that cable is for. $250 is just way too expensive. Though the production volume is likely so low that such a price is a necessity. They probably calculate that they need to recover all of their costs AND make a profit if they only sell 50 or so cables. The problem is that this discourages people from doing DIY balanced stuff. Hell, I'm supposed to drop $250 US on a cable so that I can experiment?? It's not like there's a $20 barebones version, like there is with original cable. Actually that might be a good idea, buy the replacement cable, cut the 3.5" jack and solder it to XLR!

Jul 18, 2002 at 1:09 AM Post #48 of 52
Actually, the point of going with the XLR-Combo jacks is that you can use two regular replacement cables. (or two of the cables of your choice)

BTW, I found a source for the combo jacks (neither Newark, Mouser, or DigiKey have them). It turns out that the master distributor for Neutrik USA is in Seattle, and operates a storefront that stocks everything! Anyone want some?

Jul 18, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #50 of 52
Yeah, i was thinking of using 2 replacement cables for my HD600 if i build the balanced Gilmore amp. Is there any point to this since my source doesn't have balanced output?

BTW - Neutrik will be more than happy to send you a couple samples if you ask nicely. Also ask for their product literature it makes choosing the parts you need very easy w/ big color photos

you can also get high off the smell of the Neutrik catalog alone..it's like they sprayed it with a ton of new magazine smell

Jul 18, 2002 at 6:44 AM Post #51 of 52
Samples? I subscribe to the Tangent School of Sample Ethics: Samples are only for when you're genuinely trying to decide between two or more parts and know you're going to order one of the options; they should never be used to save a few bucks.

Jul 18, 2002 at 11:20 AM Post #52 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by wilsonjm
wow grinch...only $250 for a cable, i was way off. that sounds like a fine deal for some one with "MINIMALIST FUNDS" as you said.

$100 is far enough off for me, as well as a decent percentage of what i make a week.. but i guess it's just nickels and dimes for you, wish i was in that situation.

i never said balanced cables are for people with minimalist funds, i said diy audio was. if you have a balanced source (last time i checked, the cheapest i found was ~$1500), you can generally afford to drop $250 for the headphone cable, especially since you most likely already spent about $250 for the balanced interconnects and close to $1k for the all-out balanced diy amp. either way, you're still saving huge funds from buying the blockhead which is the only other option really if you want to go balanced for your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back