How much will you be willing to pay for your dream player?
Sep 24, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #17 of 30
In my opinion I shouldn't have to pay more for my DAP than my high-end headphones. I currently use (Beyerdynamic T90) which are worth 650$ though I paid 500$ and I would never pay more than 400$ for a very very high-end DAP. If it cost more then it's either because the company is overcharging or wasting money on marketing, useless features, etc. I only want to listen to music, it's not a cellphone damnit so skip the blutooth crap, wireless, any apps, videos, HD screen, Touch screen, blablabla... and reduce the overall price.

In fact I would even say, scrap the amp completly so we can then only pay for the DSP mainly as you gotta be dumb anyway to use a 700$ DAP with the cheap built-in amp for your 650$+ 250Ohm headphone. Anybody with a serious mind will be strapping it to a Fiio E12 so I don't want to pay for unnecessary features!

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #18 of 30
I think you got the price right at $699, if you can match/beat the HM-901 and AK240 sound quality in a nicer implemented easily pocketable package.

However, for myself, I typically limit my portable purchases to $400 so it is not as painful to lose or damage - because obviously a portable player is at far greater risk than a desktop setup. For example, trip to Hawaii entails lots of sand and surf where I have to leave the device unattended or at a hotel room frequented by service. There is no way I would take an expensive device on that trip let alone the right HPs to get full value out of them. Therefore, an expensive device has more limited use excluding jogging, tropical vacations, gym, etc. that means I personally am looking for premium sound quality above all else, but in a easy to pocket form factor unleashing me from my desktop setup.

So for me to spend $699 on a portable player rather than just upgrading my desktop, the device needs to approach the sound quality of my desktop on the go. So far my x5 and dx90 while sounding nice and blowing away the iDevices, have a reasonably large gap that can be filled.

I should also point out that when approaching a grand, your chief completion for me is not other DAPs, but premium headphones. Yesterday I got a chance to compare my lcd2 with the hd800, oppo pm-1, t1, hd600/650, and hm500 on my x5 and dx90 and they all sounded great. However, m2man's 10k desktop setup obviously wiped the floor with the x5/dx90. My conclusion was that I need an hd800 to go with my lcd2. The hd800 sounded surprisingly good with both portable players.
699 dollar means that the X7 will be priced 699 Euro in Europe, which is 858,83 US dollar. It also would come in Sony ZX1 territory price wise, a DAP which can do Streaming, so I wonder if the X7 will have this option to? Maybe FiiO should work together with Wimp, by far the best sounding streamimg providor in Europe.

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #19 of 30
Personnally, I do not think I'd go over 500 or 600$ for a DAP.

On the other hand, if the thing had balanced INputs ... I'd gladly pay around 1000$ and use it on the field at work, maybe as part of a DSLR or very light boom rig.
But that means a lot more components and it wouldn't be just a DAP.

I do not care about blutooth wifi etc. And I don't know if I can ear the differences between different DAC playback components but I like the functionality for some impromptu laptop djing (having the previews thru the lap soundcard and mix thru X5 DAC). Basically an x5 with inputs at 1000$ would be great, and paid for by a production's budget :wink:

I'm a videographer that got into audio mixing because my prod house asked us to mix our own shows.
No formal education in sound engineering or electronics.

I didn't buy my X5 , it was offered to me. Partly because the person heard I was looking for something similar to a classic 160GB ipod with rockbox , I owned a couple of old gen ipods with rockbox and was content but not reallly satisfied (weak signal for my akg headphones,was interested by FiiO amps).

I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile but I can ear the difference between an mp3 and a wav, various qualities microphones, rooms and the setups I work with. I like listening to my vinyl on a salvaged sl1200 through my uncles old marrantz. But frankly, I didn't seek those, I just grabbed them for almost free when the opportunity showed. So you see right there, I spend my personal money more frequently on music records or show tickets than gear. When I buy gear I like sturdy reliable stuff, that's why I got the sl1200 repaired instead of buying a flimsy platic turn table for the same price. (read about the Altmann Tera in that thread and, well, it'd be the kind of gadget I'd like and buy if it was wayyyyy cheaper).

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #20 of 30
what would like is a crappy black white screen like the old HDD ipods,
I rather the money what im paying for when on audio components not fancy color screens. Plus old lcd black white screen will save battery. 

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #21 of 30
Myself,  I'm sound centric. I don't care how it looks or how big it is, so long as it can fit in a backpack :) Nice UI and the like are just icing on the cake. So long as it can play sequential high resolution tracks from an album without interruption. They can be found and played, that's pretty much the goal.  As long as it delivers magic and awe every time people use it, then the price becomes somewhat meaningless. If you plug yourself in and your jaw drops - you'll know you have a winner.

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #22 of 30
Just make it modular, screen that can be switched (I love oled screens) or even monochrome funky screen with backlight (they are awesome). LCD is crap, takes much energy and looks aweful. Hammer tough build (rough magnesium like cameras), good dac inside like pcm1704 and i dont mind paying over a 1000 or more.
It just must be done "expensively" awesome, not some plastky rubbish with ugly LCD and without buttons (touch screen is crap, its good for phones not for players in pocket).

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #23 of 30
QLS came out with not that bad build but still... ugly screen. Look at sansa clip screen its just fantastic, or old sony players with monochrome displays they still look impressive. People will pay for those small things. Detail matters.

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #25 of 30
QLS came out with not that bad build but still... ugly screen. Look at sansa clip screen its just fantastic, or old sony players with monochrome displays they still look impressive. People will pay for those small things. Detail matters.
we seems to forget that a DAB isin the first place a sound object, for my part I can do without unnecessary cosmetics which rockets the pricetag, keep it simple but try to get the best sound possible.

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #28 of 30
Hello James,

This is a very good question.  First off, it is a very good sign that you care about what your customers think, instead of deciding for them.  

Here is my analysis.  First I think it's not a good idea to allow a limitless price.  I think that a DAP can't be priced too high at this point.  Anyway we all know that technology will improve in the next years and that the prices will go down for the same quality, so there is no point spending a fortune on a DAP now.

700 to 800 $ would seem fair to me.  That's about the double of the X5, which is about the double of the X3, which is about the double of the X1. 

But for twice the price as the X5, I expect not only a touchscreen and Wi-fi, but also a significantly better sound.  Not just on paper based on the components quality, but a real audible sound enhancement. And also I would expect a very good UI.

Thank you for your work.  Looking forward to try the X7.

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #29 of 30

Good point! I really liked the Sansa models for their controls and price. But it was missing in their earlier models any card extensions.

Considering price:
Do you know how easy these days to justify a several hundreds fiats for a sound player being in a family-with-limited-budget situation?
Especially when every serious person would recommend to start first with a good headphones for approximately the same amount...
Then consider that quite some of customers are older and could hear less of the full sound range, but really appreciate larger elements on screen.
Seems, the X1-X3 price range is the best, right?

So my dream player would be like:
= X1 size, sound components and build quality
= bigger screen (as big as could fit on such a size device keeping the wheel and buttons)
= much better GUI with adjustable font and icon sizes
= price below X3

PS: If it would not be the GUI, I would recommend X1 to everybody because of price/quality ratio.

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #30 of 30
I think you got the price right at $699, if you can match/beat the HM-901 and AK240 sound quality in a nicer implemented easily pocketable package.

However, for myself, I typically limit my portable purchases to $400 so it is not as painful to lose or damage - because obviously a portable player is at far greater risk than a desktop setup. For example, trip to Hawaii entails lots of sand and surf where I have to leave the device unattended or at a hotel room frequented by service. There is no way I would take an expensive device on that trip let alone the right HPs to get full value out of them. Therefore, an expensive device has more limited use excluding jogging, tropical vacations, gym, etc. that means I personally am looking for premium sound quality above all else, but in a easy to pocket form factor unleashing me from my desktop setup.

So for me to spend $699 on a portable player rather than just upgrading my desktop, the device needs to approach the sound quality of my desktop on the go. So far my x5 and dx90 while sounding nice and blowing away the iDevices, have a reasonably large gap that can be filled.

I should also point out that when approaching a grand, your chief completion for me is not other DAPs, but premium headphones. Yesterday I got a chance to compare my lcd2 with the hd800, oppo pm-1, t1, hd600/650, and hm500 on my x5 and dx90 and they all sounded great. However, m2man's 10k desktop setup obviously wiped the floor with the x5/dx90. My conclusion was that I need an hd800 to go with my lcd2. The hd800 sounded surprisingly good with both portable players.
Sen HD800 headphone to go with other Audeze LCD2 headphone ?! Sorrry am not just get it! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back