How much does a dented headphone diaphragm affect sound?
Oct 31, 2011 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Crusse

New Head-Fier
While removing hair from my Sennheiser PX-100 (Mark I) headphones, I dented the diaphragm. Immediately after I thought I could hear some distortion in the sound, especially in the mid-to-high frequencies. Below is a picture of the dent. It's about 2x1 mm in size. Sorry about the hair, I've removed it since with tape. :) I tried to remove the dent with scotch tape, but it seemed nearly impossible with the small space to work in.

After using these for months after I dented them, I'm not so sure how much the sound was affected anymore, and whether or not I would notice a clear improvement in sound quality by getting another pair of PX-100's (Mark II). What are your experiences with dents on diaphragms in terms of sound quality loss? I can't say I hear much of a difference between the two channels, but the highs seem to sound a bit more pronounced (maybe slightly distorted too) on the damaged channel. I'm mainly using these on the computer with a Creative X-Fi sound card, so quite a low-spec environment, and more involved enthusiasts would probably notice a bigger difference. :)

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 3
I wouldn't wonder if there is some sound distortion.
I know others on the board who have had these sort of dents and had success removing them by mouth suction alone.
They seal the affected area and inhale , none too strongly is the recommendation as far as I remember.

I am sure others will chime in , but here is a start for you.
Hope it helps.

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi Guys, I've got the same problem with my new SONY MDR 1RBT I didn't sea a hairdresser for ages now and I'm using a hair spray to keep my mair in order. What happened is that quite a thick collation of hair got into the diapragm (which on MDR 1RBT's isn't protected at all) and bent it slightly. I used sello tape to straighten the it but there remained a minute unevenness on the surface of the diaphragm which I was unable to fis... seems that there still is a hissing/ humming/ buzzing sound in the left earpiece at high volumes... new headphones... it's so annoying... What would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back