How much difference will a high-end DAC make?
Jun 10, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #271 of 274
Here I do a test of a Apple Dongle against a cheap DAC:

——————————————————

So I'll start with how I did the test.

MacBook Air Youtube
Dongle with iPod Touch Youtube RCA X2 to 3.5mm adapter
MDR-Z1R Stock Cable
Cambridge DACMagic Plus
RCA cable
Schiit Asgard
One regular USB cable

I choose the Youtube video as I could say it was exactly the same file. I plugged the Dongle into the iPod and plugged a 3.5 to RCA X2 to cable to Asgard to MDR-Z1R.

I then went MacBook Air to Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus to Asgard. Cambridge DACMagic Plus joined to MacBook Air with USB cable. I used same cable from DACMagic Plus to Schiit Asgard as from Dongle from RCA X 2 3.5mm to cable to Asgard.

The results:

It wasn't subjective at all. There was a full difference in feeling. The sound was way bigger in size. I had to maybe guess that the sound stage was the same but it was hard to tell. The imaging was way better in regards to the Full-Size DAC. Drums that were thin from the Dongle....but sounded way bigger and fuller with the DACMagic Plus. Everything was more 3D. The guitar was filled with better harmonics and tone. The Dongle almost sounded like a small radio in comparison........just thinner and way way less involving. The instruments were more harmonically rich and real-life from the DACMagic Plus. They sounded more natural and real. Basically everything was more clear!

Prior to this test I just tried the Dongle and used it for awhile. Due to the combination with the Asgard the sound was bigger and fuller and frankly I was not expecting the change to be so dramatic. The changes were truly night and day. I was totally surprised?

And adding to the confusion the DACMagic Plus is from 2011.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #272 of 274
Well, worshipping the small aspects of the source IS often a romantic delusion. The way that it becomes possible and probable that an infinite level of quality is derived at that place. A place which is often very controversial in fact. Do all DACs sound the same? Is there variety in sound found from the DAC.
If you put on my ears for one evening you would notice that my hearing is so bad that I should not be hearing any differences at all, haha. This hobby is totally a romantic delusion, and a tug of war with my wallet.

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #273 of 274
I have an audition scheduled later in July for TOTL Linn streamer/source that costs like 30k. I am curious to hear at what price point I will stop hearing improvements. Currently also using my Macbook as the source and Bartok as the streamer.

I’m quite interested as to what kind of improvements you hear over the Bartok + MacBook. Are you able to use the Bartok as a Roon core or direct source for a local music library? If so, you would likely see significant improvements in SQ.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #274 of 274
I’m quite interested as to what kind of improvements you hear over the Bartok + MacBook. Are you able to use the Bartok as a Roon core or direct source for a local music library? If so, you would likely see significant improvements in SQ.
Bartok is only a streamer when it comes to Roon, you still need a separate core. However, it has a USB input for your flashdrive, and then you can use their Mosaic app to play songs directly off it. I have not tested it, perhaps I should on a couple of songs I know well. Thanks for the suggestion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back