How much are expensive phones worth?
Aug 14, 2002 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Moonwalker

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

Like all (or many) of you, I wish to have the best of 'phones available. The higher end cans cost much more money I could throw out, but someday...
evil_smiley.gif

Still, 3 phones (systems) caught my attention in the past few years:
Sennheiser Baby Orpheus - I would use my own amp for them in the future
Stax Omega II - I would use the SS version, 717 amp
Sony R10 - I would purchase the best amp I could at the time

Big Orpheus is out - price, limited edition, valves are not my favorites, poor D/A inside, too big...
frown.gif

Please, can you tell me how much is any of the three systems/phones worth for you PERSONALLY? That means how much would you spend to get any of them.

Thank you all in advance!

Moonwalker

Aug 15, 2002 at 9:12 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally posted by Moonwalker
Hi!

Like all (or many) of you, I wish to have the best of 'phones available. The higher end cans cost much more money I could throw out, but someday...
evil_smiley.gif

Still, 3 phones (systems) caught my attention in the past few years:
Sennheiser Baby Orpheus - I would use my own amp for them in the future
Stax Omega II - I would use the SS version, 717 amp
Sony R10 - I would purchase the best amp I could at the time

Big Orpheus is out - price, limited edition, valves are not my favorites, poor D/A inside, too big...
frown.gif

Please, can you tell me how much is any of the three systems/phones worth for you PERSONALLY? That means how much would you spend to get any of them.

Thank you all in advance!

Moonwalker

Baby Orpheus - $6k
Stax Omega 2 - $2500
Not familiar with Sonys.

PS. I'm not a big tube fun either, but Big Orpheus rules!!! Don't use the built-in D/A though. Use a good CD player or D/A transport combo.

Aug 15, 2002 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 3
Moonwalker,

I think, we need to put this in context of the overall costs of our respective systems. For me, purchasing the STAX Omega 2, with 007T driver was money well spent.
This STAX unit is about 10 – 15 % of my total system cost, which includes a very recent up-grade of CDP from NAIM CD 2 to their top-line CDS II. (My current system: CDS II, Naim 82 and HiCap, Ayre V3 power amp and Wilson Benesch ACT 1 LS, plus “nostalgic” Revox tuner & record player)

Just consider, what money you have invested in the speakers & power-amp, which may or may not give you the same sonic quality - and more importantly – emotional feeling of listening to MUSIC, rather than just “HiFi”.
In my case, it all balances reasonably well: When I change from speakers to head-phone or vice versa, there is none of this “slap-in-your-face” (or on your ear!) feeling, which you experience when changing to “low-fi” phones.
Of course, there is a significant difference in sound impression between phones and speaker, but it’s more like sitting in the front row of the concert hall - or even conductor’s podium ! – and then moving to a good seat back in the concert hall – different spot & acoustical perspective, but same orchestra – in a manner of speaking.

Which reminds me, why I actually got started on STAX in the first place. When I wanted to up-grade my phones, I had a few units to demo-listen at home. Two STAXes, the AKG 1000 and a GRADO, if I remember well (it’s some 7 years back – and only my WB ACT 1 speakers haven’t changed since !!)
STAX was the one head-phone with a sound most similar to the WB’s, which have a close resemblance to electrostatic speakers – Bingo – which is the sound I liked (-and I still marvel at some big electrostatic speakers, except they are just too big and have other shortfalls)
There's no way around a good set of phones - safe the £$£$ someplace else !

Urs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back