How good is my onboard soundcard ?
Aug 12, 2004 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

joeri

New Head-Fier
My motherboard came with an onboard soundcard. i think it's called AC'97.

How good is it ? How good is it at playing music compared to the audigy 2 zs pro (that everyone hates) ? I need the Audigy for games, and i'm thinking about buying another card for music, unless you guys think my AC'97 is good enough for that.

What do you guys think ? Thanks in advance
580smile.gif

Aug 12, 2004 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 5
AC'97 is a specification from Intel for onboard audio. The quality varies based on the actual chip but it generally sucks (the A2ZS should actually be better for music than most chips).

Aug 12, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 5
Yeah i noticed my music doesn't sound very good when i plug in my sennheiser hd25-1 wich i usually use for my ipod.

Would a cheap chaintech card be much better ?

Aug 12, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 5
When I switched the soundcard to the Chaintech on my old desktop, there was a major difference. The sound was much clearer and the "dirty" noises were eliminated. Keep in mind this desktop was 3 years old.

Last week I bought a Toshiba A65 Laptop which has the AC97 onboard sound. I decided to compare the sound quality of both the AC97 and the Chaintech. I used Foobar to play the same 190kps mp3 on both systems and listened to them on PortaPro2's.

Conclusion? The Chaintech sounded [size=xx-small]slightly[/size] cleaner than the Toshiba onboard. The difference was small enough that I wouldn't notice if I was just listening. I guess my ears are tin.
plainface.gif

Has anyone ever done a comparison between the M-Audio Transit and the Chaintech?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back