How good do you think this test is?
Nov 10, 2012 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Pianist

Headphoneus Supremus
http://tonometric.com/adaptivepitch/

For some reason, I got addicted to this little test and keep on doing it several times a day. I guess I am hoping that it will improve my music perception skills in some way, but I have no idea how. Is there any practical value in practicing this test? Does it help appreciate music more and tell differences between audio gear? What do you guys think? How much does it really tell about one's hearing ability?

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 3
I don't know...

At around 500 Hz, a half tone difference is about 30 Hz (more or lees roughly the smallest difference between notes in Western music).  This is testing small fractions of that, well below quarter tones and anything used in other musical systems.

Music is about pitch relationships (covered here, but mostly with differences much greater than tested here), rhythm*, dynamics*, harmonic composition* (for one instrument, this reduces to just the timbre of that one instrument), and so on.

*all not tested

For evaluating audio reproduction quality, I don't see too much relevance either.  I suppose if you also have amazing pitch memory, then maybe you'd be able to notice some playback systems not running at the correct speed—e.g. Sansa Clip+ being something like 0.25% fast, so 500 Hz is like 501.25 Hz (all frequencies likewise shifted, so no change in musical content).

Nov 10, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 3
Let's put it this way, I took the AMVI test on the page and it was so much fun I wish it would be expanded into a full videogame. So if you enjoy taking the test over and over then more power to you, that already means you're taking something away from it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back