How does the JMT CHA-47 compare to the Creek Obh-11?
May 21, 2002 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

erikiksaz

100+ Head-Fier
How do they compare, in terms of sound quality, as i'm thinking about whether to sell the amp, thanks!

May 21, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 6
I have not compared both of them, as I only have heard (and own) the CHA-47 by JMT. I can vouch for the fact that it is VERY good, regardless of the price (which is very reasonable, as you will know if you have PMed him). I plan to post a review of the CHA-47 he built for me, and it is comparing very favorably against many CDP's in my house including a Harman Kardon CDP.

As far as the JMT vs. the OBH-11, I heard Duncan a while ago saying that they were about equal, which seems as though that CHA-47 would be a hell of a bargain if it really was, though I'm not sure if he had heard them himself or was commenting on hearsay . . . but I wouldn't doubt it if both amps were in similar classes, that CHA-47 is a heck of a good amp in my opinion.

May 21, 2002 at 7:03 AM Post #3 of 6
You know I haven't really seen any direct comparisions from the DIY amps vs. the Commercail amps or atleast I haven't noticed any.

May 21, 2002 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 6
I've got a DIY 47 amp, and an obh-11. I'm not sure how the sound of the 47 changes with different parts, but I'll find out soon. I'm going to change the 'cmoy' power supply layout for the buffered one, and then switch my electrolytics to premium ones. Finally, I'm going to acquire an Alps pot. For now though, the 47 (2 x 9volts) still beats the obh-11 for use with either portable or home use. The highs are softer, and less grainy. The bass is more extended. The imaging is better too - front to back & side to side precision. The obh is a bit more aggressive, but at the expense of coloring the sound more. Maybe it's the cables, but the Creek always gives me a dark sound with a grainy treble spike. This is a bit of an exaggeration though. The Creek has great value, and I'd buy it again if it failed. It does sound good, but I've listened to it so long that I can pick its sound apart. The 47 has been kicking around for at least half a year, so there's no novelty bias. Either way, you'll have a quality amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back