How do you wear your Etys?
Jun 28, 2001 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

amaynard

New Head-Fier
I can alter the sound of my etys by changing how far I insert the rubber tips (whil still having a good seal). The sound seems to be related to an increase in the pressure between the transducer and the eardrum.

Light insertion, with low pressure buildup gives a rich sound, with slightly less detail. Isolation is also poor fom external noise

Deep insertion thins the sound (the phones also appear to play quieter for the same input), but increases isolation. the affect is similar to how your hearing changes briefly when comming in to land in an airplane (as the cabin pressure is increased).

Anyone else noticed this?

Is the pressure affecting the transducer (if so, does using a amp compensate), or the eardrum?

Which do you prefer?

Jun 28, 2001 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 7
The pressure buildup should only be temporary until the outer ear equalizes. This usually only takes 15 or 20 seconds for me with the rubber tips. While the pressure is unbalanced the response will change because the eardrum is constrained.

That aside, I prefer the foam tips for comfort and ease. I can get the same sound quality with either. I roll them as small as possible and slide them in while pulling on the back of my ear with the other hand (to straighten out the ear canal). I've been using the 4S for a few years, and like most ETYphiles, can't live through a day without them. After a while getting them installed properly becomes second nature, as does nodding and smiling a lot when people ask you questions.

Have fun

Jun 28, 2001 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Greg Freeman
The pressure buildup should only be temporary until the outer ear equalizes. This usually only takes 15 or 20 seconds for me with the rubber tips. While the pressure is unbalanced the response will change because the eardrum is constrained.

That aside, I prefer the foam tips for comfort and ease. I can get the same sound quality with either. I roll them as small as possible and slide them in while pulling on the back of my ear with the other hand (to straighten out the ear canal). I've been using the 4S for a few years, and like most ETYphiles, can't live through a day without them. After a while getting them installed properly becomes second nature, as does nodding and smiling a lot when people ask you questions.

Have fun

Maybe it's not the pressure buildup then that leads to the sound difference...

I tend to prefer the foam tips, but hate the idea of using a disposeable earpiece, and so am trying (probably inadviseably) to train myself to accept the rubber tips better
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2001 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 7
I have also found a considerable difference in sound depending on how deep you insert the Ety's. I also feel that this is due to pressure and it sometimes takes several minutes to get the sound just right.

I also prefer the sound of the rubber tips to the foam tips. They definitely have more of a 'learning curve' needed in order to get the sound right - it's well worth learning though as these headphones are truly magnificent.

Generally, in order to get the right insertion depth, equalization and comfort, I don't wet the tips. I insert them only a couple of milimeters into the ear - just enough to get a seal. Whilst waiting for my ears to adjust to the fit, I get my music ready to play and plug the headphones in. Once I'm ready, it's then a case of pulling the top of each ear up to get the final degree of equalization, give them a quick 'twiddle' and then rock and roll.

I've made it sound like a long-winded elaborate process but in actual fact the whole process from start to finish usually only takes around 20 - 30 seconds or so.

Custom earmoulds are tempting but I'm concerned that if I get the recommended specifications (without equalization vent) I will have real problems with getting them 'just right'. If I get some with equalization vents I'm concerned that I may not be getting the best possible sound from the units. Anyone who has custom made moulds for the Ety's may hopefully be able to shed some light on this issue. I look forward to reading any comments about this.

Jun 29, 2001 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 7
I'm now using a pretty similar insertion procedure. Lifting the ear up and out while 'scooping' the rubber tip in (initially push down, then level it out - the tip seems to be inserted deeply without creating a complete seal intil almost fully inserted, thus minimizing the pressure buildup. Releasing the ear completes the seal).

This thread could get increasingly gruesome if all the gory details of everyone' techniques are revealed!

Jun 29, 2001 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 7
No no! Please keep going people! :) I'm still trying to figure out these blasted little things. I just got them about a week ago...so I'm still in the experimentation stage. Mostly I'm still trying to figure out the insertion depth. If I stick them in really really far (like the entire rubber completely in my ear canal) there is really good isolation, and the sound does seem to thin out and get quieter. However, it is really bothersome to stick them in that far because I'm always nervous I'm going to prick my eardrum or something, and I can't say much to the longterm comfort level when they are in that far...they definitely don't feel good. :) I'm going to try shallower insertion depths and see how it goes. Otherwise, it's either gonna be custom eartips or new headphones for me!

Jun 30, 2001 at 12:55 PM Post #7 of 7
So far I've opted for the rubber tips with relatively shallow insertion (but still a good seal). However I'm trying my first airplane trip with them this weekend, so we'll see how important the isolation factor is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back