How do subwoofers connect to an amp?
Sep 16, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #16 of 22
Hi, are you thinking of a powered / active Subwoofer or a passive one? "passive need to be powered by an external amp, the same as traditional speakers. A powered Sub has its own internal amp that you connect to its own power source and line through to you receiver / amp. 

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #17 of 22
The Dali Sub is powered,also my speakers are powered.Im asking if i can connect the sub,the speakers and the Fiio amp/dac so i can use the system without a reciever?Is it possible,and if yes what cables will i need?A Y splitter maybe?Nor sure how all things connect thats all.Also,the Fiio has a coaxial out,if that helps out.
If i connect the Fiio to the sub with a 3.5mm to 2rca cable into the Line input of the sub,how do i connect my speakers then?

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #18 of 22
I'm bring this back up because I can't figure if I can connect a subwoofer to a my mini amp SMSL SA-36A

I read in the posto to use the Pre-Out jacks but I can't understand what is it
I have 2 RCA ( L/R ) to mini Amp IN and then output connectors to speakers

Attachments

• 51lX+oGd76L.jpg
    51lX+oGd76L.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 16, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #19 of 22
I'm bring this back up because I can't figure if I can connect a subwoofer to a my mini amp SMSL SA-36A

I read in the posto to use the Pre-Out jacks but I can't understand what is it
I have 2 RCA ( L/R ) to mini Amp IN and then output connectors to speakers

That's because you can't do it that way since your amp doesn't have a sub output port - all it has is a line signal input and speaker outputs.
kHWW7a

SA-36A_4_logo_grande.jpg

You need something that has something like this:

HT Receiver
NR575.jpg

Stereo Receiver
NAD-D3020-Rear-Black-on-Black.jpg

Car Audio Processor
pxeh660.jpg

Mar 16, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #21 of 22
but the AMP of the original post doesn't seem to have it neither

What amp on the original post?
OP_01.jpg

it says to use the "Pre-Out jacks" but can't understand what it is, maybe a pre amp output?

You mean this one?
OP_02.jpg

The difference between a "Subwoofer (Preamp) Output" and a "Pre(amp) Out(put)" is that the latter is fullrange stereo.

In most HT receivers the subwoofer output may be labeled "LFE" for "Low Frequency Effects," aka the ".1" or ".2" when a receiver or system is described as a 5.1, 7.1, or 7.2 Dolby Atmos. It either runs what is specifically is in the LFE or ".1" channel of the surround sound program (ex a Blu Ray) but that has some kind of leeway so it can be cut at a higher or lower frequency depending on how much bass the mains can handle before they need help from the subwoofer (or however you want to shake the HT room).

When playing regular stereo audio all of these just apply some kind of crossover or low pass filter to the 2.0 audio.

You can still use a fullrange preamp output that way but you have a few problems:

1. Your SMSL amp doesn't have that either, so it doesn't actually matter that that Cambridge amp has it or not, you still don't have it and therefore can't utilize what doesn't exist.

2. Depending on the implementation:
a. There might be a selector that selects only one of either speaker amp output or the preamp output, not both simultaneously. If the amp is designed to run like that then you're basically choosing between all bass or no subwoofer.
b. In some amplifiers like the NAD 304, there is no internal wiring that connects its preamp circuit to the power amp circuit - it just has ports on the rear connected by a jumper. You can use an RCA Y-splitter from there and connect it to both the subwoofer and the amplifier circuit, or the subwoofer and a separate amplifier.

3. Your amp doesn't have that.

Your best bet if you're going to continue using that amp is if your subwoofer has High Level (ie amplified speaker signal) Input. Look at its plate amp - if you see terminals that look like speaker cable connectors, then run the cables from your SMSL amp into those terminals on the amp's High Level Input, and then run speaker cables from the subwoofer's high level/speaker output.
hsu-vtf-3-ho-subwoofer-rear-panel.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back