How do $$$ Sony SACD players work for redbook?
Jul 16, 2003 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Canman

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone compared the higher end Sony SACD players such as the XA-777ES and SCD-777ES and C555ES to other high end sources such as Wadia and Madrigal brands for redbook and SACD reproduction (as compared to redbook on Wadia, etc)? I am curious to check these players out. I heard that Stereophile has issued Class A ratings for these players but I have also heard that they have been a little too generous lately handing out those Class A ratings. What's the word on these?

Jul 16, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 5
Well, I highly doubt a stock 555ES could compete at all with anything remotely current from Madrigal or Wadia on Redbook. Stock XA777ES, or SCD-1, now there's a better comparison, but still Levinson gear and better Wadia gear should be better on CDs, but you're going to have to pay a lot more for that difference, from those brands.

Mark

Jul 17, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 5
Once again, the consensus on REDBOOK performance is that the xa is generaly prefered, although some (mostly people SELLING a 777es) say they prefer the transperancy of the 777es.

Id bet my money on the xa777es vs. the 777es. The scd-1 is a different matter. If I wasnt getting a great deal on a scd-1, Id go for a redbook only machine. Like a wadia 830, cary, opus 21, Linn Ikemi, etc....

Many people prefer redbook performance on GOOD engineered recordings to sacd recordings of the same recording, on some of the very good redbook machines(see audioasylum!!).

Used, you would spend about the same amount on the excellent redbook machines as a refirbished or used scd-1.

If you did want the best of both worlds(redbook and SACD), a moded 555es, or xa777es would probably be your best bet, at a reasonable price.

Im basically just elaborating on what Markl already said...

Hope this helps.
k.s.

Jul 18, 2003 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 5
The redbook CD's on a SCD-1 is the real deal. I thought the playback on both SACD and redbook were excellent. It had depth, detail, smoothness, and dynamics. The 777es is supposively the same in most aspects of two channel playback, so I'm guessing it would be pretty good as well. I ended up not buying the SCD-1 and opting for another CD player instead- I regret it now! Many of the high end players have used Sony and Pioneer transports for years... so it was about time when Sony did something decent with the DAC's on their players!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back