How do different people hear differently.
May 26, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #16 of 19

Quote:
So you don't agree that humans hear in the range of 20Hz to 20kHz? Because normal hearing is defined as the ability to hear that range of frequencies. The perception of individual frequencies or frequency ranges is a different story.

This is not including sounds perceived by feeling vibrations. Which can increase the amount people can hear in both directions, but that is dependent on tactile sensitivity. This is also not including natural hearing loss.

Yes agree that the human ear is sensitive to audio in that 20-20k range. I was reacting to the "everyones hearing is the same" part of the post. When you expand your point to mention that frequency variation perception varies between individuals, my objections disappear. You're now saying something different.

May 26, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #17 of 19
I don't think you read my post then, or any of the others for that matter (or you didn't understand what I was getting at). It is scientific fact that humans hear in the frequency range of 20-20000 Hz. That is a quantitative representation of how humans hear. In that respect we all hear the same, because we are all hearing the same frequency range. Now the individual perception of sound is slightly different, because humans are affected by their environment and their experiences. So we learn to perceive those frequencies differently than others. Ever person's ears hears the same frequencies in the same way, but the way the mind interprets those sounds is entirely different.

Quote:
Yes agree that the human ear is sensitive to audio in that 20-20k range. I was reacting to the "everyones hearing is the same" part of the post. When you expand your point to mention that frequency variation perception varies between individuals, my objections disappear. You're now saying something different.

May 27, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #18 of 19

This previous thread explains how people's ears don't hear the same frequencies in the same way. It has a nice graph of 40 different peoplesHRTFs. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/517848/do-we-hear-all-alike-or-different#post_6995171

May 30, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #19 of 19

Thanks JadeEast for the previous link. I was just going to jump in the discussion. I found the science article linked in the first page a very interesting read and confirmed my understanding that HRTF maps available to our brain (memory) are highly specific of sound direction and hence, of the environment sound field conditions.

We are definitely all locked into our own hearing (not my quote, but very descriptive and appropriate I feel), but still the same sound will be perceived by 2 people's ears with a different intensity (different SPL measured at the ear canal entrance). In real life, it doesn't matter because you learn to hear with your ears/pinna/shoulder/head. But with headphones pushing sounds directly into your ear drums, it can prove to be a nightmare, because of our highly specific and individual HRTF's (I say plural because we don't have just one HRTF but almost an infinity, each for different sound field conditions). 

Quote:
This previous thread explains how people's ears don't hear the same frequencies in the same way. It has a nice graph of 40 different peoplesHRTFs. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/517848/do-we-hear-all-alike-or-different#post_6995171

Users who are viewing this thread

Back