How cool would this be?
Nov 14, 2002 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

fyrfytrhoges

Headphoneus Supremus
Say we get the ear of some designer and manufacturer and get them to make a limited edition "head-fi member headphone"

Audio Technica makes these limited number phones right???

I would say we put all our heads together and come up with the most important headphone attributes and narrow them down to an exceptable level.

Then we come up with a design.

With 3000+ members each member has the right to own one pair....

But I guess if I think about it, there's no way to get all the egos on this board to come up with any compromises.....

Seemed like a cool idea in the beginning.....

Ohh well.....

Nov 14, 2002 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 13
heh. heh heh. and how exactly do you see a bunch of people who have no clue about engineering involved in designing a headphone coming up with a good design?

Nov 14, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 13
there's only a few egos here. and the moderators seem to keep everyone in check...

i've seen worse.

much worse.

i can see it now - the fully adaptable and adjustable open/closed - on the ear/off the ear - senn/grado/neutral - hi impedence/low impedence headphone. flick a switch and soundstage enlarges or collapses. good for ALL types of music/mixing. comes in multiple colours with choice of velour, velvet, leather, leatherette or foam.

transducer can be removed for in the ear canal insertion.

nah, it'd be more fun to discuss the merits of each different type of headphone.
biggrin.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
listening to TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia) - MFSB. 'soooooul train!

Nov 14, 2002 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by zzz
heh. heh heh. and how exactly do you see a bunch of people who have no clue about engineering involved in designing a headphone coming up with a good design?

fyrfytrhoges: to take your idea a bit further:

....find a manufacturer of quality headphones that would let a Head-Fi group (a selected or elected "experts group" like JPEG) advise on design and sound quality. Maybe a variation of one of their regular 'phones. The price would be premium, certainly, but with the membership base of Head-Fi, surely the company would do all right with this "head-fi.org Limited Edition". Maybe a preproduction survey and advanced commitment that would guarantee sales prior to production.

Maybe not such a bad idea, fyrfytrhoges.

Nov 14, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 13
Lots of luck. You'll never get two members to agree on any one headphone design (price, open/closed, low-impedence/high-impedence, dynamic/electrostatic, etc.). Never gonna happen.

Once we reach 30,000 members, then we'll be large enough to get a manufacturer to cow-tow to the majority of our "demands". Until then...

Mark

Nov 14, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #8 of 13
Just bring back the hp-1.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Biggie.

Nov 15, 2002 at 12:31 AM Post #10 of 13
How about getting someone to put a decent amp in the same box as a PCDP/MP3 player? I'd definitely join the committee responsible for that.

Nov 15, 2002 at 1:38 AM Post #12 of 13
I say go hp-1!
biggrin.gif
But seriously, even if we GOT a manufacturer to design it, do you really think that many people on head-fi would buy a $300, or whatever, audio technica?

Nov 15, 2002 at 4:01 AM Post #13 of 13
I guess we'd have to rely on the fact that if it were to be designed and engineered according to a collective headfi mentality that the people here would be confident enough in our own abilities to choose the aspects of the headphones, and that the headphones themselves would live up to our high expectations. I mean it's only a pipe dream anyway...... just one of those thoughts you come up with when you don't have anything better to do.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back