HORRIBLE "system noises" on Aureon 7.1
Aug 12, 2004 at 7:30 AM Post #16 of 28
i got my AV710 yesterday and i'm facing the same problem
i think it maybe because of my ATI TV Wonder card OR because my HDs are right behind the card
i'm going to try and wrap the card with Al fold later and see if that helps

Aug 12, 2004 at 11:23 AM Post #17 of 28
I didn't hear the problem to this level with the RME... and the E-Mu, while faulty, also didn't exhibit the noise problem to anywhere near the same level. I'm fairly sure this card is faulty... Being able to hear 'systems noises' while at normal listening volume is something I've not come across since the bad old days of early laptop audio and budget ISA soundcards.

I've sent full details to Terratec, and we'll see what they say.

Aug 12, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #18 of 28
It sounds like the card has very poor RF/EM sheilding and/or poor power condititioning circuitry (if any at all).

AnimeEd: TV Tuners put out lots of interference. You should move your AV-710 to the lowest available slot and the TV tuner to the highest.

Aug 12, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
It sounds like the card has very poor RF/EM sheilding and/or poor power condititioning circuitry (if any at all).

AnimeEd: TV Tuners put out lots of interference. You should move your AV-710 to the lowest available slot and the TV tuner to the highest.

i did
it looks like i have to put the TV card up to the Video card and make them share IRQ, because they are curently 1 slot away

actual i really think it's my HD because most of the time, the noise from the card is in sync with the HD lights
having a RAID doesn't help things

Aug 13, 2004 at 9:33 AM Post #20 of 28
Terratec may take 10 days to respond, which is a bit of a problem since DOA returns are 7 days. Let's hope they hurry it up.

Incidentally, I've noticed that the Audiotrak Prodigy and the Aureon are practically identical with the exception of the digital outputs (optical vs coaxial). Both use the same board layout and both use the Wolfson WM8770 DAC/ADC with the Sigmatel 9744 doing the AC'97 duties.

Aug 13, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #21 of 28
im stilling haveing all those problems in one channel of my emu1212m
confused.gif

would like to hear what people say... its at the bottom of my case (the analog card) and the humming goes away when you push the end up and down while its on

Aug 13, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #22 of 28
bangraman
I have Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 which as you mentioned almost identical to aureon. I never had any problems like you have right now, but I did have clipping noises on SIS648 motherboard that were latency related, after I changed it to i865 all clipping noises were gone.

So, IMO you should dig in the following direction:
1.mobo chipset
2.really unstable power, it might help if you add a UPS to your PC
3.pretty much any powerfull videocard, or maybe should I say modern? especially if it has a TV tuner
4.Crappy PSU, yes, I know you have enermax, but even Enermax can be bad
5.You know, you could always try putting your Aureon in a different PC, see if it helps...

Aug 18, 2004 at 9:14 AM Post #23 of 28
bangraman,
I think you could be experiencing PCI latency issues. I just spent the past few weeks tracking down and fixing a similar problem on my system. Tracked it down to my Highpont RAID card HPT370 "clashing" with the AV-710 on the 32bit/33Mhz PCI bus(AMD MPX chipset).

Disk activity would produce random "digital" muck when listening on the AV-710. Especially bad when I purposely benchmark test the HDs' read/write while listening. Sounds like a "digital" car crusher :)

IRQ/PCI card bus swapping did not not help much. But I did find some improvements when I used "PCI Latency Tools" freeware to adjust the individual card's latency. Less muck were produced on normal disk activities.

Fortunately, my Iwill MPX2 duallie mobo has an alternate 64bit/66Mhz PCI bus. So, I replaced the RAID card with another RAID card (HPT372) that works on that bus and INSTANT SUCCESS! Zero digital muck! And perfectly smooth sounds (Foobar/KS/24bit/96kHz-slow), even when I benchtest the HDs - which burst reads up to a respectable 110Mbyte/s.

In your case, if your mobo does not have an alternate PCI bus, I would still recommend using the "PCI Latency Tools" freeware to reduce the problem. Good luck.

Aug 19, 2004 at 10:38 AM Post #24 of 28
i get these noises from my laptop and pc as well. Are you by any chance using Windows 2000? I've noticed I only get these noises when using 2000. The noises went away when I changed to xp or nt.

Aug 19, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneade
i get these noises from my laptop and pc as well. Are you by any chance using Windows 2000? I've noticed I only get these noises when using 2000. The noises went away when I changed to xp or nt.

maybe it's because of the different drivers

Aug 19, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #27 of 28
There is a possibility that Oneade's laptop problem was IRQ related - solved by the OS change. Win2K and WinXP "intelligently" assigns IRQs to the system. When he upgraded to WinXP, the IRQs could have been re-assigned away from the problem he had on Win2K. AFAIK, users cannot manually assign IRQs on MS OSes newer than Win2k. So it really is "plug and pray".

That said, there are many systems that run happily was IRQ conflicts. But, IMHO, PCI latencies and IRQs conflicts play a significant role on real-time activities like playing video or listening to audio. As any slight system hiccup can translate into jarring playback or recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back