Honestly you only have 2 real options.
May 14, 2009 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

runningman1960

New Head-Fier
I hope I'm doing this right,I just joined head-fi and I don't know where to ask questions or start a blog.... I am hoping someone would recommend a good portable amp to compliment my grado sr325is. I already have a headroom tah, but was wondering if a better (more expensive) amp would make a big difference in sound quality. I am totally portable; zune 120, total airhead amp, grado sr80 and sr325is cans. But in the quest for better sound, I was wondering if a RSA emmeline "the hornet" would improve my set-up. Thanks Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I have trialed out with my Grado SR325is headphones (that can be a little bright at times) the best 2 amps where

Grado RA1 amp
Mapletree tube amp

I went with the Grado RA1 amp and wow...just awesome. These cans need a lot of juice (current) so this amp uses two 9V batteries. I would get the battery version for 2 reasons

No hiss at low volumes compared to the AC version
A little more portable.

I would stay away from all the Chinese made amps, they tend to have poor build quality and reliability issues and good luck with a warranty claim. The Grado is made in NY, NY and Mapletree right here in Canada.

Cheers.

May 14, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 3
Would someone please recommend a good amp that will compliment my grado sr325is. I currently have headroom's tah, but am wondering if a better (more expensive) amp will make a noticable difference. I am totally portable; zune 120, headroom total airhead, and grado sr80 and sr325is. As you can see, I'm just starting out, but this stuff is addictive.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back