"Homed" Balanced Desktop Thread
May 8, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused by this thread. I realise that the DAC is optional but from the site it seems that the amp is always the Home module. How does one then "Home" this amp?

Sorry for any confusion, Cooperpwc!
redface.gif

The HeadRoom Desktop Amp now comes "standard" with the excellent Class-A 'Home' electronics module... which accounts for its slightly more expensive base price versus last year when it came stock with the (now-discontinued) 'Desktop' module that was NOT biased into Class-A performance.

We thought the clear audio improvements offered by the 'Home' module made it almost a no-brainer as a Desktop Amp upgrade, so we eliminated the lower-performing module option and raised the unit's base price by $50 bucks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

May 8, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe the gain has any effect on SQ. Even with the K701, I couldn't imagine using any gain setting other than low. This amp has prodigious amounts of power.

The gain setting slightly changes both the frequency response and transient response. Have a look at the Stereophile measurements. Also, the gain setting effects what point you use on the pot which relates to channel balance as well as how much conductive plastic the signal has to go through. I believe the change in resistance at that point also effects the interaction of the output impedance of the pot (or SA) and whatever follows it.

May 8, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The gain setting slightly changes both the frequency response and transient response. Have a look at the Stereophile measurements. Also, the gain setting effects what point you use on the pot which relates to channel balance as well as how much conductive plastic the signal has to go through. I believe the change in resistance at that point also effects the interaction of the output impedance of the pot (or SA) and whatever follows it.

I'll take a look at the graphs.

May 13, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #19 of 21
I listen to my relatively new home balanced max (w/ DAC) via K701s, Senn 650s, and (as of today) beyerdynamic DT880s. The AKGs have HR's Cardas balanced cables, the others Fat Pipe balanced. I usually listen w/ crossfeed on; brightness at filter 1 or off (always off w/ K701s) but I must say that the effect of having crossfeed enabled is mostly illusory to me so far. I also sometimes plug in Grado GS1K SE cans, e.g., when running unbalanced phono input, and always turn off crossfeed and brightness when I do. I feed the amp with unbalanced analog from a bel canto phono stage and balanced analog from a NAD M5 CDP, and take a balanced output to a NAD M3 integrated amp, per Jorge's guidance. This way the headphone rig can run alongside the main speaker gear with a minimum of interconnect swappage. Fits perfectly in the niche required in my overall rig. Will eventually settle on two sets of cans for it with the loser (probably the Senn 650s) relegated to bedside use in SE with a Decco (excellent hybrid tube amp, btw). Eventually I will probably dedicate the Grados to the Zana Deux but will probably recable w/ Black or Silver Dragon - don't know how to decide between the two. I will need to fold Stax M303s into the picture. My present thought is that the Stax and Grados will sort themselves out as to favorite sources. And even if they don't, it should be fun in the trying. Suggestions welcome. I now see I've strayed way off-topic. Apologies; what do you expect from a noob?

May 13, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #20 of 21
Hi twestby,

Just a quick question - do you just run regular balanced interconnects from the balanced headphone jacks on the front when you geed the M3? (that is, can you use the balanced outs like a pre-amps balanced outs?)

May 14, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi twestby,

Just a quick question - do you just run regular balanced interconnects from the balanced headphone jacks on the front when you geed the M3? (that is, can you use the balanced outs like a pre-amps balanced outs?)

Yes, exactly. I run a pair of balanced interconnects from the balanced out jacks on the back of the HR home directly to the balanced input jacks on the M3. Then just trip the "rear output" toggle on the front panel to the "on" position when you want the HR to be your preamp, and you can dump the M5's output through the HR straight into the M3. You can thus enjoy your best cans whilst your 5 year-old falls asleep in your lap listening to your Gallo 3.1s!!

I was concerned about this initially, because I was running balanced CDP outputs to the M3's balanced inputs, and I didn't want to risk blowing output transformers if I screwed up the gain between the HR balanced max and the M3. But it turns out I was a dork and it's not a problem - the HR balanced max seems to be very happy as a preamp, and the M3 and M5 both get along with it well. Initially, I fed the M5 to the M3 directly but Jorge assures me that there is no signal degradation, so I now feed the M5 balanced straight to the HR and connect the backpanel XLRs to the M3. Theoretically, only differences in cable losses should be noticeable, at worst. Note that any EQ you do via front panel inputs (there ain't much available!) will be reflected in the backpanel output, if I understand Jorge correctly.

I should point out that when I acquired the HR balanced max home unit, I did not anticipate using it as a pre-amp or even as the main amp for my can collection. I've even complained about the switches being on the back panel. I must say however, now that it's been in my rack for a couple weeks, that it's, um, PERFECT. I wouldn't change a thing about it. Keep the mini-toggles that are on the rear plate on the rear plate. I'm thinking we get selected other manufacturers to join in with matching aesthetics and balanced inputs. I doubt HR is interested in moving into integrated amp territory. They can however, gain a lock on dynamic can amp territory, to the extent they aren't already The Pan. As an owner of a $15k headphone system and a $35k regular rig, I can say that the former outperforms the latter, IMHO, on a SQ/$ basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back