Home Made IEM - need help
Feb 4, 2016 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jojo21

New Head-Fier
Hello all, 
I need some serious help!

I am looking to make a 3 driver IEM and need help with the following question;

What is the best drivers for doing a 3 driver model?

I know nothing about cross overs but I learn very quickly. Does anyone have a cross over guide or can give me instructions on building a 3 way cross over?

I need to but or make a cheap easy way to test frequency response. Anyone have any diy ways to test this?

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm not expert, that's for sure, but I think Knowles made some BA units which may be used in in-ears (their dual GQ series are used by Audio Technica and Westone and more apparently). That's intended as just a starting point of your search though - I'm sure there are others and better ones too.

As for the frequency response, it would be a bit harder to get an accurate response from an IEM than from say, speakers or a full-size can. If you could get your hands on an osciloscope that would be a good start, but it won't give you a frequency graph. What kind of equipment do you have already to work with? Mics? Any processing hardware?

And if I may be so bold, as a last question: why? What are you trying to gain from building your own IEM?

Good luck anyway!

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 5
I thought i would try since i have a few BA'a on hand. I was given several different ones by a neighbor. I have some UV cure acrylic to use and some knowledge for the shell.

Where i lack knowledge is the drivers part and how to properly put them together. 

I have  a combination of knowles and sonion. 
I don't really understand cross overs and frequency testing. 
I have the arta software but thats about it as far as testing i was trying to either buy or make something that can be used with that. 

As far as cross overs is concerned i know what is needed to accomplish what i want but i do not know how to configure it. 

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 5
Hello all,
I need some serious help!

I am looking to make a 3 driver IEM and need help with the following question;

What is the best drivers for doing a 3 driver model?

I know nothing about cross overs but I learn very quickly. Does anyone have a cross over guide or can give me instructions on building a 3 way cross over?

I need to but or make a cheap easy way to test frequency response. Anyone have any diy ways to test this?
This is one of the most informative sources on DIY IEM I know of ... right here on head-fi:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/home-made-iems.430688/

Happy reading and good luck with your project!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back