Home CDP Guide
Jul 5, 2003 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sephka

100+ Head-Fier
I'm an aspiring audiophile, and thus I'm upgrading my crapola-equipment. I have an Aiwa mini-system ( Aiwa NSX-MA545 Home Theater Compact Stereo System .) This wouldn't seem to qualify as audiophile-level
smily_headphones1.gif
So, I'm looking for a guide to decent home CD players. Thanks.

Jul 5, 2003 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 11
Where are you located at and what's your desired price range?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 7, 2003 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 11
A little more information would probably help head-fier's make suggestions that would fit your needs. Do you care about the new formats i.e. SACD and DVD-A? Are looking for a combined DVD/CD-Player? How about disc capacity e.g. don't care, 1, 5, 100?

The price range you listed is rather large i.e. you'll probably find the quality of a $2000 source significantly better than a $500 one (though that isn't an absolute). Narrowing that range down a bit will also get you more focused responses. This will be especially important if you don't really want to pay $2000 as I can forsee alot of responses falling somewhere above $1000.

In the $500 range alot of head-fier's like the Philips 963SA DVD/CD-Player. It upsamples, plays the new SACD format and you can watch movies with it to boot. Other players that have received some praises (though not unanimously) around this price range are the Cambridge D500SE and the Music Hall CD25. The Music Hall CD25 can be modded for a few hundred dollars into a very nice player from what I've read. Those last two players are, I believe, redbook only i.e. no SACD or DVD-A.

Moving up to $1000 puts you into the Jolida JD-100 and the Rega Planet 2000. The Jolida can be modded for a few hundred dollars. Both of these are single-disc redbook only players.

In the $1000+ range you can get the Cary CD-308 and Creek CD-53.

All of the players I've mentioned should be readily available; there are many more but these should get you started. Some great players that have been discontinued but are available if you search around a bit are the Sony 777ES and 555ES players. Both are SACD compatible and the 555ES is multi-disc. Both players can also be modded into some of the best sources available - according to many reviewers.

Do some searching on head-fi and you should find a wealth of information about these players and many more that I have left out. I know that there have been some recent threads about the best sources in particular price brackets. For example, try searching for, "best source" and see what you get.

Jul 7, 2003 at 6:22 AM Post #6 of 11
Ah, thanks for your response, I really appreciate it. Even with the search function, it can be pretty difficult to find information on this subject. Perhaps someone should assemble a fact... I'll proceed to specify some of the things I'd like this player to have:

Necessary playback: Redbook, CD-R
Preferred: SACD, DVD-A
Not Essential, but couldn't hurt: CD-RW, DVD (If DVD-A doesn't cover that)

I'd like to keep the price tag more around $1000, going higher is possible but not preferred. The disc-changer capacity is not important to me. And, a final question... what does the "mod" process do? Thanks again.

Jul 7, 2003 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 11
Jul 7, 2003 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by sephka
... what does the "mod" process do? Thanks again.

Generally, modding a unit entails replacing existing parts like resistors and capacitors with better ones, sometimes reinforcing the chassis or adding dampening materials for vibration control, upgrading connectors like the RCA outs and digital ins, adding an IEC connector for upgrading power cords, etc.

Here are some links to modder's that explain some of the things they do:

Electronic Visionary Systems
AudioMod
Musical Concepts
SACD Mods
ModWright

Most of these guys are well-known and well-respected. Stan Warren is also a well-known modder and designer but I don't think he has a web-site.

For an excellent review of a modded unit try Markl's thread:

Hot-Rodded Sony 555ES

This thread is well-worth reading in it's entirety.

Jul 7, 2003 at 9:24 PM Post #9 of 11
It seems modding can be an expensive process...how difficult is it to self-mod? My hand is crafty with PCs, but i'm sure modding CDPs is a lot more complicated.

Jul 7, 2003 at 9:28 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks Gallaine. Saved me the trouble of recommending the 555ES Hot Rod.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by sephka
It seems modding can be an expensive process...how difficult is it to self-mod? My hand is crafty with PCs, but i'm sure modding CDPs is a lot more complicated.

I guess that depends on how handy you are with a soldering iron, your understanding of which parts are worth modding, and how stout your courage is. There are a number of head-fiers here who mod their own equipment; there are also head-fiers who design and build equipment. Try the DIY forum. Most of the head-fier DIYer's will try their best to answer any specific questions you might have.

IMO the advantage of going with one of the modders I listed is that nearly everyone of them have *tons* of experience doing this, all the test equipment you could possibly need for most situations, and an understanding of what works and what doesn't. But I guess this all just boils down to time and how much desire you have to get into the "guts" of your equipment.

I don't mean to discourage you. I think modding equipment is something that you could do on your own. I even considered it myself. But after looking at my work schedule I came to the conclusion that I just didn't have the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back