Holy *#!*! Did you see the 4X100 Olympics swimming freestyle relay?!!
Aug 11, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #31 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm actually kind of sick of watching it over and over and over on NBC... They must've played it 9 times now..,, I want to see what other events are like too!!

...There are other events?

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #32 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif

basketball, gymnastics, and pie eating
tongue.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #33 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same thing here. Every year the networks beat swimming to death. I wish they would cover Taekwondo and Judo like they cover swimming.

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #34 of 114
Haha, pie eating is so messy...not my thing.
tongue.gif

But hey, there are conspiracy theories already that the French team let USA win. Go figure.
ph34r.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #35 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
basketball, gymnastics, and pie eating
tongue.gif

I'd like to see pie eating!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same thing here. Every year the networks beat swimming to death. I wish they would cover Taekwondo and Judo like they cover swimming.

This year they have been better. They actually added two new channels on Time Warner. Basketball HD and Soccer HD. Both channels have coverage of both events for several hours. I can't complain too much about swimming, I like that event. But some of the other "online only" events should get TV coverage. I don't see why they can't show Judo in the weekday afternoon. Kinda disappointing that afternoon daypart on NBC is regular programming. I'm also excited to see the new event, BMX.

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #37 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you missed the 4x100, it will be coming up within this hour(Eastern Time) right before 5AM on the replay of last night's primetime Olympics on NBC.

Hurrrrayyy!!

I personally would like to see more gymnastics
frown.gif

they cut out all teams except china and U.S. lovely.

Aug 11, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #40 of 114
That was a race that showed the Olympics in all their glory. That was too good to be true. It looked like the French had recovered by the awarding of the medals though, gotta give them credit!

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #41 of 114
Just watched the race online. It definitely lived up to the expectations you guys talked it up to
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #42 of 114
Not yet!
Hence why I reply without reading the thread content.

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #43 of 114
One of the things that was so great about watching this race, is that I was convinced that the French had won. I even got that sick pit in my stomach. It was mind boggling what Jason Lezak did. He swam the fastest split in history in a race that was the fastest in history! Forget Batman this summer, Jason Lezak is my hero.

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #44 of 114
Lezak has been talked up so much that I thought he would have won by 10 seconds or something. He only beat the 2nd swimmer by a fraction of a second.

I was expecting something else.

Aug 11, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #45 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lezak has been talked up so much that I thought he would have won by 10 seconds or something. He only beat the 2nd swimmer by a fraction of a second.

I was expecting something else.

Are you mental!? You were obviously not at all familiar with the conflict between the French and US teams, and all the trash talking the French did about how they were going to own the Americans, prior to the race. You must also be completely unaware of swimming in general and the world records associated with relay swimming. Not only did Lezak rally in the last 50m to win for the Americans, but he did it being almost a full body length behind at the last turn. Do you have any idea the kind of power it takes to make up that distance and advance ahead, let alone the audacity of beating the prior WORLD RECORD by over 4 seconds!!

Expecting something else? Yawn.

Here's an excerpt from the article on the NBC website to give you a better idea of the magnitude of this win:

Swimming is a sport that translates elegantly into numbers, and the numbers from this one race will be studied and analyzed for years to come:

Before the preliminaries at these Games, the world record in the 4x100 relay stood at 3:12.46. That mark was set by an American team swimming in 2006.

One day ago, during the prelims, a U.S. team broke that record, swimming 3:12.23. (Under Olympic rules, the swimmers in the prelims get gold medals, too. Nathan Adrian, Matt Grevers and Ben Wildman-Tobriner swam with Jones.)

One day later, in the Olympic final, to go and then chop 4 seconds off that mark is -- well, it's not done. It took 20 years for the record to drop 4 seconds to the 3:12 range. In 1988, at the Seoul Olympics, an American team lowered the record to 3:16.53.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back