Holes large enough for neutrik locking jack?
Nov 11, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #16 of 20
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just tried an experiment drilling a 15/16" hole in a 1/8 inch thick panel of aluminum and thought I would share for the benefit of the group...

DISCLAIMER: Use of the following technique is at your own risk. I am not responsible for any injury that occurs as the result of proper or improper use of the technique detailed here. Please wear safety glasses. I am not advocating the use of this technique. I am simply documenting that the required hole for the neutrik socket may be done in this way. As always YMMV.

Total cost of equipment: $5-10
Total time required: < 5 min

Materials:

1 1/16 inch drill bit
1 15/16" wood-boring drill bit (the flat kind)
1 can of Tri-Flo teflon spray lubricant or similar

Procedure:

1) Drill a pilot hole with the 1/16 inch drill bit
2) Spray lubricant on both the 15/16 inch drill bit and on the aluminum working surface (VERY IMPORTANT. DO NOT DO THIS DRY)
3) Place the larger drill bit into the pilot hole and start drilling away. Start at a low speed until the drill bit settles, then increase the speed as you go. Do not place too much downward pressure on the piece. A little will go a long way.
4) When the drill bit is about half way through the piece (the flat portion of the bit should start touching the aluminum work surface) flip the piece over and start drilling again.

Voila! a nice 15/16 inch hole in your aluminum suitable for mounting a neutrik socket.

Please note that it is possible to drill the hole without flipping the workpiece over. With adequate lubrication, the drill bit will drill all the way through the panel.

Hope this helps all you Gilmore SS amp builders out there!

-Doh

Nov 12, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #18 of 20
I use a 7/8 inch chassis punch then enlarge the hole with a deburring tool. (But I don't own a 15/16th punch. That would be the easy way.)

Nov 12, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #19 of 20
I use a step-bit. They're available at any hardware store for less than the cost of a punch. It's like getting a whole set of punches for less than the cost of one punch. I use them for tube socket holes, clamp-on electrolytic holes, rca and knob holes, etc.

Nov 13, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #20 of 20
Step bits are great. Best way to make a small hole big. As long as your careful to stop on the right step! (Hard to make a hole smaller again, I found out!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back